Future Development

Our Studio has been introducing digital storyboarding into our production process, we produce the animated television series ‘bro’Town’. Our production schedule is very tight and using Toon Boom storyboard has the potential to increase efficiencies in our storyboard development process both financially and otherwise.

Our production pipeline doesn’t operate on a usual model for animation production, aspects of our process are more like that of ‘live action’, our script is ammended and updated in conjunction with our storyboard panels, as all areas of the production team view animatic progress and alter relevent aspects. We provide draft animatics to the broadcast network for approval and consultation. Currently we export scenes/panels to an AVID for editing and directional changes as the AVID system provides a more user friendly editing environment for the producer and her team to work their changes.

This external editing in AVID is the cause of many of our complaints as we are required to match the AVID edit within Toon Boom Storyboard to ensure our S/B reflects our current edit. There is no easy way of doing this, such as being able to import a Quicktime movie and use this as a guide vision layer to edit over.

I would like to see software like Toon Boom looking beyond the immediate requirements of the basic animation models and look towards a more multi-platform/cross-discipline type of software that would enable the user greater flexibility in the use of the product, especially as production techniques are diversifying.

We are very happy with OPUS software and hope to further integrate more storyboard systems into our studio shld it evolve to suit our needs. We are planning on further digital development of our studio to include 3D software producing all background requirements initially, and would hope that both systems wld interact seamlessly. I think of Adobe products and the ease that these and Macromedia products share files and formats and at the same time enable the user to define production processes and techniques that suit individual requirements rather than dictate user terms based around a digital version of ‘old school’ 1920’s animation production techniques. I think of how After Effects and Premiere and the like all share content easily, then I am reminded that any special effects sections of our storyboard which are produced in After Effects cant be easily loaded into Toon Boom… sigh. I am often forced to output copies of the storyboard to hardcopy for ease of reference and even these options are very limited - imagine being able to print a contact sheet style version or a page setup using an A3 template to increase size of image or god forbid save paper by printing more per page - these seem basic… like not having a ‘Save As’ function or a seperate audio export facility as MP3 files - we use UniSay trackreading which has been a vast improvement on manual/‘old school’ trackreading techniques - should Toon Boom not be trying to integrate more with these other digital service providers understanding that all areas of our prod are evolving and therefore cross platform utilisation gets increasingly essential.

Overall I would like future versions of storyboard to be more enabling and less restricting, allowing users to integrate with other media systems sharing information and formats easily and adding real value by eliminating uneccessary hurdles to a streamlined and cross-platform production process as needed.

‘Add Shot’ - Quick key?
Durations of Scenes or Sequences?

I am interested in others view on this product and it’s current abilities and integration into prod pipeline as well as future expectations.

Appreciated
c.

I’m a single user, artist-animator who has found exactly the same problems with the Pro version, let alone the cheap version. I was at first very excited with using the trial version as I am working on a Japanese language animation, sadly Storyboard in all its forms cannot recognize Japanese text at least not when input on an American keyboard. All other Mac software that I use can accept Kana. However that’s a specialty problem.
The other problems I’ve had are the lack of “modern” exports protocols, import into After Effects etc., and that I was faced exporting the storyboard all the way back to paper. Even then some of the export to PDF is not as intuitive as Toonboom animation products.
All in all I think Storyboard should be part of TBS, Solo etc., and that would solve at least the in house software issues.
Apart from that I am in need of a version of Storyboard Pro that allows export out to Final cut, After Effects and ToonBoom Studio. At the moment importing Flash into TBS is a chore to manipulate.
I have the money but will wait until the software becomes more mature.

Hi All,

Storyboard Pro supports correctly Japanese language and allows you to export your storyboard to AAF which is importable into Premiere, AE, Avid, etc…
For Final Cut Pro you have to use EDL. For Flash you can export your board to SWF.

Storyboard Pro allows also to export each panel to PSD with independant layers for background creation (PSD can also be imported back with independant layer).

Best,
Sebastien Miglio

And Japanese / Chinese (etc ) works in standard Storyboard because i use Japanese.

I bought the standard and despite what others think, i think its very useful. I wish it had some basic camera animation and at least 2 sound layers. for voice and a music soundtrack. that would make it far more usable for me and those who think it is unusable.
You can export image files so with basic camera animation and limited sound usage (for timing) then it would be great.

if only it would export camera zooming and tracking in the image export and placce empty shots or duplicate the images to FILL the timing in the image files, that would even more fantastic

oh, sorry for the bad grammar and things…
i am soo tired :slight_smile:

Sebastien, I use a macBook Pro with Japanese turned on as I have to write in Japanese. I can type in Japanese in the side windows but when I export say to PDF it comes out as squares. Guess I’m doing something wrong.

It’s been many days since I’ve used it so I’ll go back and try. I can’t type Japanese in TBS either. I think my settings are messed up. I use command/alt space on the Mac to toggle back and forth from English to Japanese.

As patmals uses it in Japanese I know I’m doing something wrong. Patmals your post was just fine. Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind words before. Regarding ‘boxes’ for the Japanese text, maybe it is because the font you are using when printing to pdf.
I mean, when you type, kanji etc does display but when printing and displaying, it is using the default font which, in your case, not displaying japanese correctly.
I am using Windows so i am not such which font you may be using.