Frequent crashing on iMac running Yosemite

I’m reinstalling TB8.1 for the 4th or 5th time because of crashes (it won’t even start right now), and mucking up my animation. I will run through the entire thing in the storyboard window and all is well, then save it, quit, and next time I open it some of the animation will be fine, but some elements will be much larger, elements will have moved, etc.

Suggestions? Known conflicts? This software does some great things but I’ve never worked with anything this buggy!

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve downloaded and reinstalled as suggested, I also completely rebuilt the directory on my Mac using Disk Warrior. The combination helped a bit, but Toonboom is still frequently crashing on opening.

I wrote support twice over a week ago and sent in one case the console reports of the crashes on attempts to start, and the crashes while using the app, but have had no reply, which is frustrating. When I can get it to work I am not only saving every ten minutes or more, I am also making constant backup copies.

This may or may not be a factor. Frequently some files are left behind on your system when you delete or replace software. They need to be removed manually in order to perform a clean reinstallation. Not sure if you did this already but something to get out of the way while waiting to hear from Support is to thoroughly delete the previous installation before installing the most recent file downloaded. Google “how to thoroughly remove software from a Mac.”
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+thoroughly+remove+software+from+a+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Thanks, yes, I went through both libraries pretty thoroughly after at least two of the re-installs. Support has finally responded and we are setting up a time for someone to observe from a distance. In the meantime it just crashed again while working with it, so it that happens again I will go through the full reinstall and double check that all files are trashed.

Hey,

Are you sure you have the latest version ? Apparently sometime Toon Boom Studio 8.1 has to be reinstalled with the latest version in order to work on Yosemite.

You should probably ask to the support team at toon boom.

As aduclaux mentioned, you need to re-download and re-install the software for Yosemite compatibility.

Regardless of the version numbers listed below I don’t think the number was revised when updating for Yosemite in every case. Compatibility and the instructions to re-download and re-install came after one or more were already released. It won’t hurt to go through the process to be safe.

Installing the Yosemite Patch

How do I install the yosemite patch?

All Toon Boom software is now compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. In order to use the correct version, all you need to do is install the latest version from your user account.

Click on your icon, and go to My Downloads
Select the “mac” link to download the new version
Install the software
If you’re already using the latest major version of the software, there is no need to upgrade your license. You can continue to use the same license.

If you are using an older version of the software, then we cannot guarantee compatibility with Yosemite. You should upgrade to the latest version.

The latest version numbers are as follows:

Toon Boom Studio 8.1
Toon Boom Animate 3
Toon Boom Animate Pro 3
Toon Boom Storyboard Pro 4.1
Toon Boom Harmony 10.3
Toon Boom Harmony 11.1
Newer versions will also be compatible with Yosemite.
https://www.toonboom.com/knowledge-base/3871