Frame rate in .mov files not as expected

I have a project defined with frame rate of 30fps, 720x540 that I am exporting as a quicktime file. I was having a problem importing into final cut express, so I made a test strip. 30 frames with just the number of the frame in the drawing (1, 2, 3, … 30).

I exported the scene out to the .mov file and have the following 12 frames in the file: 1, 3, 6, 8, 11, 13, 16, 18, 21, 23, 26, 28

Maybe I messed up some setting, but when I check File → Animation Properties, it says 30fps. Anything else I can check?

This is with TBS5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Well, create your project in Studio in DV NTSC 720 x 540 - 30 fps /
Export your QuickTime Movie in Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) /
Dimension NTSC 720 x 480 (4:3) /
Open Final Cut / Easy Setup / DV NTSC / then import your movie clip…

Regards
Nolan

That works a heck of a lot better. I noticed when I was in there that the frame rate to 12. That explains my missing frames.

One thing, though. My scene in TBS5 is 30 frames. When I export the current scene (camera view) and set the export range to All, I see all 30 frames in Quicktime but in FCE, there are only 29 frames. I did an export of “Full Movie” (there’s still just the one scene) and it had the same issue.

If I create two scenes, each 30 frames and export as a full movie, then the first scene has 30 frames in the .mov, the second scene has 30 frames in the .mov but in FCE, it’s 30 frames for the first and 29 for the second.

If I export those as two separate .mov files, both files have the full 30 frames and in FCE, both are missing the last frame.

Is that a bug that I just need to work around? Adding an extra frame is no problem but I’d like to be sure that I’m not doing something else wrong.

Mike

Well, can’t really say without seeing the whole setup…?
(don’t think there is any bug involved…?)

Anyway, the one frame shouldn’t really bother you…
It’s good practice, to leave always a good number of extra frames
at the beginning and end of any project…
Makes editing (creating transitions) in Final Cut a much easier task…

Regards
Nolan

Good point. I was going through the tutorials on israel hyman’s site and he mentioned that, too. I’ll just add in 8 frames to the start and finish for each scene.

Thanks for your help,
Mike