Frame Rate compatability when exporting

I created some short animations at 12fps which a filmmaker wants to use in a documentary which displays at 24fps. When he imports my Quicktime exports they do not play cleanly in his film. Can I fix this problem on my end during the export process or is this something he must adjust on during import?

Hey Marie-Eve!

Thanks for the response. I’m away from my big computer right now so not sure how precise I can be. This is what I can remember: I rendered some animated shorts at 12fps and exported them as Quicktimes first without changing any settings and then trying some where I changed the settings in the export window to 24fps. Neither version imported cleanly into the 24fps film on the filmmaker’s end - meaning, from what he told me, that the sound and visuals fell out of sync. I wish I saw what he saw when he imported the animations so I could be more clear. I was mostly wondering if others had created something at 12fps and then attempted to import it into a 24fps project and whether it worked or needed something checked that I’m just not seeing. Hmmmm…

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Thank you for the additional details. Changing the QuickTime settings to 24 frames per second when exporting will not change anything. The Toon Boom Studio set frame rate overrides the QuickTime export settings.

Do you know what editing software he is using?

Marie-Eve

Hey Marie-Eve,

Here’s what the filmmaker says: Cutting in Final Cut Pro 7 on a 24p timeline.

Dwayne

That’s should work fine.

Do you create paperless frame-by frame animation or cut-out animation (keyframed puppet animation)?

The best would be to have a short render to see where the glitches are. :slight_smile:

Hi Dwayne,

Would it be possible to have a bit more precision on your QuickTime export setting and what you mean by not cleanly?

Thanks!

Marie-Eve