format question

okay, I have been playing with the program a bit, but all of the projects I have created have been Format: Default, frame rate 12 and camera size 640 x 480.
Could this be why when I import them to my editing software, iMovie, they are blurry? because the camera is too small? I didn’t really think it mattered because the Quicktime files I have exported from Toon Boom have been great.

Can I, after the fact, increase the Camera Size on a project I have already created?
Adam

Hi,

Once thing for sure is that you need to make sure that the resolution you are using from Toon Boom Studio is the same that you will be using in iMovie. If the iMovie resolution is higher then the resolution you exported to you will get blurry results from iMovie as it will need to stretch the movie to fit the new size.

Best regards,

Ugo

so I guess that means I have would have to remake my project from scratch in a new project with a higher resolution?
I guess the low res is good for like putting stuff up on the web.
Adam

Hi,

If you use the same ratio or resolution you could simply change the resolution of the project and export it. If the ratio is different you could simply try to realign everything to fit the camera frame.

Regards,

Ugo

I made a short test project in 1440x1080 to see if it would solve the problem, but it is still blurry when I import it into iMovie. So I dont know what’s up with that.

Hi,

If it looks fine in the Quicktime itself I can’t quite tell what is going on. Did you try using the None Compressor to see if you get different results.

Regards,

Ugo

yeah, I tried that, but it didnt do any different. I even made a new project with high res and saved with high res and it didn’t do any better.
I tried importing them into Final Cut also, and strangely, some of them are not blurry and some are just alittle blurry. but not really any real pattern as too why.
Adam

Hi,

Are you noticing the compression blurs only inside the other software or on the Quicktime video itself. Also, did you try to export those files from FCP or iMovie? It may simply be display issue on their software.

Regards,

Ugo