Focus module and motion blur

Hello,
I have a shot built with a 3d environment. Imported jpgs to create a floor, walls, and ceiling in real space. This has been great for camera moves etc.

Some problems I’m running into. If I add the focus module to the camera I noticed that only the back wall and the drawing in front of it is out of focus,
the side walls, ceiling and floor are in focus. I was hoping to see the walls gradually be out of focus the farther back they are.

Is this normal? Does the focus module have limitations with 3d objects?

The second question, I have a fast camera move that pans across the room. I wanted to add a motion blur to this 3d background I have. Whenever I try to render or preview the motion blur toon boom crashes. Is this a common problem?

I’m using Toon Boom Animate pro 3

thanks for any help!

-Joe

The focus modules works in z-values. It takes the center of image (assuming it is not rotated in 3D and facing 2D camera) and blur based on the depth. If the image is either 3D module or rotated in 3D, the focus module will have a difficulty to find the center of image to calculate the depth and thus wrong result.

i ran into this problem as well (in harmony 11), trying to have 3d-rotated drawings blur as they were extending further from the intended focal plane. sadly, previous reply seems accurate – blur is applied as if the object is still un-rotated and facing the camera (the rotation is ignored). entire object is uniformly blurred based on where it falls in the focal plane and falloff range.

so, would need to take drawings into a “real” 3d application (or even after effects) to have proper camera blur range and falloff. too bad, i had assumed that the blur would affect rotated objects along their own axis. hopefully this is added to future versions (of animate and/or harmony)

also discovering other limitations – can’t draw or paint/fill directly on 3d-rotated layers, need to enter drawing mode on the layers to edit them once they are rotated in 3d space. editing the drawings immediately updates the 3d rotated camera view (after strokes are laid down), but still can’t work on the rotated elements directly in camera.