"Flipping Calendar Pages"

I am trying to animate the “flipping” of the pages of a calendar. I have been somewhat successful by drawing each cell the old fashioned way. My problem is that I would like to have the month and the day “squares” change in perspective when the page goes through its flipping cycle. Is there any tool to do this, or do I have to draw each cell’s month as it changes?

Hopefully my question makes sense. It sounds a bit unclear when I go back and read it!

Thanks in advance!

Bryce

Sounds like you’ve got the basic animation handled, but you want to show some detail on the page of the calendar so the month is clear somehow.

Try making a basic grid on each page for of the flipping and use a mask to hide the part at the beginning of the month where there are often no grid squares.

However, I’d think about how much detail you actually apply to each month as you may not see it for long. Alterning the grid configuration is good, and putting a mont and a few numbers is good, but if you subordinate some of the detail through line quality or color/value, while putting some dominance on stuff like the month and a few numbers, it will organize and prioritize the visual elements without taxing your viewer too much.

Hey Bryce. I think I understand what you’re asking. I did something kind of similar, but it wasn’t with numbers, it was with a bigger object, but the trick I used might work for you too. Basically I created the non constant segment between the keyframe transformations. Then I used a combination of the rotate and skew tools to change the perspective as the object moved. I used the rotate tool to move the object and change the horizontal object lines to the perspective it needed. And then I used the skew tool to change the vertical object lines to keep them straight up and down. By the way, right after using the rotate tool, I had to move the object a little with the transform tool to reposition it on the screen so it didn’t look like it was flying all over the place and to make it a little more narrow. The great thing about it was that I didn’t have to reset the non constant segment for each tool I used. You set it once for the original transformation and it applies to all tools used in that segment. I didn’t think it was going to be that simple lol. I hope this made sense.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response!

I may not have been completely clear on what I was trying to do. If you look at the picture to which I’ve included a link below, the “straight on” image on the left would be my first cell. The image in the middle my second cell, and the image on the right my third cell (and then more in a similar fashion…). They would all be the same size (instead of the way I’ve made them look successively smaller), but “rotating in the Z axis” around the top edge of the calendar.

Seveneyes, I’m guessing that’s what you were trying to talk me through? Or were you talking about X or Y rotation rather than Z?

Thanks again!

Bryce

http://www.geocities.com/chi_guy_2000/Images/tb1.JPG

Okay, now I see what you’re doing. You’re flipping it up vertically instead of horizontally (which is how I originally understood it). Hmmm, I haven’t tried anything like that yet, I’m still pretty new to all of this. My example was of an object that was already drawn in perspective that moved closer to the center of the camera view. I’m not sure if my little trick would work right for this, but it looks like your drawings already have it kind of worked out.

Actually I drew the page in another app, and imported and vectorized it, but I’m hoping there is some way to draw it in TB and then “morph” it to make it flip…

You might want to try just drawing it in drawing view and use the PERSPECTIVE tool to progressively make the changes to show the flipping. The PERSPECTIVE tool can be found on the tool palette in the same group of tools as the DRAWING SELECT TOOL (1) just toggle the keyboard short cut 1 until it is visible on your tool palette.

Basically the process is something like this:

1.Create a drawing element
2. Draw your calender shape on cell 1
3. Use keyboard shortcut R to create a second frame of cell 1
4. Select the new frame and use the DUPLICATE DRAWING command to convert cell 1 into cell 2
5. Select your shape in cell 2 and using the perspective tool start changing its perspective.
6. Then use keyboard short cut R to create an additional frame of cell 2
7. Select the new frame and use the DUPLICATE DRAWING command to convert cell 2 into cell 3
8. Select your shape in cell 3 and using the perspective tool continue changing its perspective.
9. Keep repeating this process until you have your action animated.

To help with seeing the perspective changes be sure to use ONION SKINNING and also a PERSPECTIVE GRID would be useful. -JK