File Size and Slow Performance

As my file sizes are increasing and reaching the 200-400 mb range it’s becoming difficult to move forward. Opening one 300 mb file takes me over five minutes. A single cut and paste can take 45 seconds, and other, more complex commands can take minutes. I’ve tried quitting all other programs, restarting etc. and yet can only continue at a snail’s pace.

One 300 mb file consists of 960 frames and has 13 versions of the same template which I’ve imported from my global library. Each of the templates has 43 drawing elements. The drawing elements themselves consist of lines.

I am using TB Studio 4.5 on a Mac 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.5.8 with 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

db

Are you using lots of HD images…? This can be not only very demanding on the software,
but on the computer hardware as well…

Have you Flatten / Optimized all your drawing layers…?

Decreasing the Image Resolution in the Preferences / Display might be an option…
Uncheck all those Rendering Options…
Increase Memory Usage…

Cloning Layers in the Timeline instead dragging them over and over again from the Library might be another possibility…

Splitting those bigger files into smaller ones would be very sensible…

Using an external FireWire 800/400 Hard-drive as scratch-disc / media-drive might help…

What kind of graphic card are you using…?

Regards
Nolan

Nolan,

Thanks for your many suggestions. I’ll experiment with all of them.

Re HD Images - don’t think I’m using any - unless I’m misunderstanding. Everything was drawn with the line tool.

I did reset the various Preference items you listed and noticed some improvement. I’ll try working on an external drive as well. The graphics card in my computer is a GeForce 8600M GT.

Tried Flattening and Optimizing but these don’t appear to be options because I don’t have any overlaps in single layers. Is there a way to take multiple frames of multiple drawing elements and merge them into a single drawing element and set of frames - and reduce file size?

There are a couple things I don’t yet understand. If I clone a layer will changes made to it effect the layer it was cloned from? Also, not clear on what “splitting files” means.

Thanks for all your help.

db

Flatten:
When drawing with the Brush-tool, you can also decide to instantly flatten the strokes as you draw them using the Draw Top Layer option.
To enable the Draw Top Layer option: Select Tools > Draw Top Layer from the top menu.
A check appears next to the command when it is enabled.
To disable the Draw Top Layer option: When the option is enabled, select Tools > Draw Top Layer from the top menu.

Optimize:
The Optimize operation is used to merge shapes and brush strokes of a same drawing into a single flat layer. Unlike the Flatten option, the Optimize command will merge the selected drawing shapes or strokes only if merging them will not change the appearance of the final image.
If you have transparent shapes overlapping one another, they will not be merged or flattened preserving the transparent overlapping effect.

…“Is there a way to take multiple frames of multiple drawing elements and merge them into a single drawing element and set of frames - and reduce file size?”…

As far as I know, one has to cut and paste any drawing from one element to another…

Cloning Layers:
Cloning a layer provides you with a copy of the selected layer that uses the same drawings as the original. If you modify a drawing in the cloned or original layer it is updated in both layers. You can modify the layers’ timing independently one from the other, but the drawings remain linked.
This feature is useful when you want to reuse an animation but have different timings.

Duplicating Layers:
Duplicating a layer provides you with an independent copy of the drawings and their exposure. You can modify anything you want in the duplicated layer without affecting the original one.
You can use duplicated layers if, for example, you want to reuse an animation of a fish to create a school of fish but you still want to modify some of them to give them their own personality.

…“Also, not clear on what “splitting files” means.”…

Creating shorter independent scenes…

Regards
Nolan

Nolan,

Thanks again.

All this helps considerably.

db