Exporting stills: jagged quality, no anti-alias, no effects.

Hi, I’m trying to export a still from AnimatePRO.
The result is very poor, I get jagged lines, as if there weren’t any anti-aliasing.

I searched in the Export options and in the prefs but couldn’t find any solution.

Does anyone know if there’s a solution?

Thank you,
Josh

Follow-up on previous post:
Today, again, I needed to export some stills from a project for a client.
All effects (blurs, glows, and whatnot) were missing, plus the image was quite low-quality (jagged lines, no anti-alias).

Not being able to give decent stills to a client is quite a problem. :frowning:

Josh

That is cause you are exporting open-gl frames.You need to instead go to the write module in your network, set up the details there, and then export network (you can still select the frames you want).

Thank you TheRaider. That worked!On the bad side, the Render Network panel is lacking all the options I have in the Export OpenGL panel. Namely, no choice of which frame to export (no ‘current’, or ‘from frame to frame’ options, it all must be entered by hand each time), and it forgets the Radio Button position (it always goes back to ‘Export all frames’). In short, exporting stills can be a painful process. Especially if one needs to export a large number of them.The Export OpenGL panel is much better in this respect.I can’t figure out why Animate has to be so baroque on such simple matters.Why can’t they just make it simple and user-friendly, either way? :(Thank you again for the help!

I you want a large number like 20 stills, personally I would just export it all and then pick out the frames you from windows explorer.I would rather an option in the opengl frames to render with effects cause it would be easier for WIP.

@TheRaider: Well, exporting hundreds or even thousands of frames to hand-pick just 20 or 30 is not the kind of fast and easy solution I had in mind :)But I totally agree with you about the OpenGL Panel. It should export images as nicely as the Render Network, but with the options. Having seen the two panels, to my knowledge there is no user-friendly way to export images with Animate, and I find that quite annoying.Josh

yes I think that is a must. i don’t even know what the point of the export opengl frames is.

Hi LillyYes, Export Current Frame would definitely a very useful option in Render Network. In fact, Render Network it should have all the options you have in the OpenGL panel. The OpenGL panel is quite ok as far as options are concerned. To be really up to standards it’s lacking a vector image export (Ai), and a PSD layers export, but at least you can freely decide what frames to export and you even get to customize the resolution.What boggles me is why OpenGL can’t produce good images! They all come out raggedy. So, paradoxically, you have a useful panel for useless images (I’m sure there is a reason for this, I just can’t imagine it). Conversely, the Render Network panel will produce good images, but is instead really uncooperative and option-less. Result is, one is not really happy either way.thank you,Josh

That is partly cause the options are inside the write module.

True, TheRaider. But again, as far as exporting still images goes, the Write Module has fewer options than the OpenGL panel. And I’m still quizzed about why I can’t get nice, smooth, anti-aliased images from the OpenGL panel. Am I doing something wrong? What is the OpenGL export for, if all I can get is jagged images? I wish I could show what I mean (I can’t seem to upload images on the forum it just adds a little tag but doesn’t open an upload window).Josh

I know exactly what your talking about. It is designed that way. The openGL in Animate is far better than the images it produces.If there is a way to get an image worth showing anyone with that option I don’t know how.

All toonboom needs to do is change that option to allowe opengl or full render as an option.

One thing that might help - if you restrict your timeline so that it finishes at frame 30 for example, then when you switch to render selected frames it will say automatically 1 to 30. If you want to do 10 to 30, however, you would have to modify that first field.

I believe the reason that it is set up this way is so that this is used generally to export your final project, not just a snapshot. Would a feature like Export Current Frame be more useful than inputting the range in the Export Render Network dialog?

~Lilly

The OpenGL render does just that - a render with OpenGL - i.e. it’s not actually a full render, and thus doesn’t apply things like antialiasing or effects. It is simply a preview render, and not meant to be a final render. It’s something that you would use if you want to test your animation.

~Lilly