export without black background

If you’re exporting a movie, then under your Movie Options, then video Settings, select the Animation codec with Millions of Colours +. Although it may still show up with a black background when you open it in Quicktime, if you bring it into another software like Premiere or Final Cut you will see that the background is transparent.

Like with the movie files, image files display transparency different ways. Some pre-multiply to show the images as transparent, and some show the transparency with a black background, but the background disappears if you import these images into another software. For an image sequence, in Animate pick “Colour with Transparency”. In Animate Pro, you need to configure the “Drawing Type” in your Write node to be anything with 4 channels - TGA4, PNG4, PSDDP4. Then when you do your Export > Render Network, it will export one of those types of images which will have an alpha channel associated with it.

~Lilly

Ross I’m having difficulty understanding your issue… Are you exporting the whole project and you can’t see the effects?

Perhaps it’ll be easier if you just attach an image so that I can see what you’re talking about. Upload your image to a free site like Photobucket then post the link here.

~Lilly

Did you do the File > Export > Render Network instead of OpenGL? Did that work for you? You just have to select the image type from the Write node.

~Lilly

Sorry I heard someone mention export to OpenGL, I mistook it for you.

At this point Ross it might be useful for you to write in to support@toonboom.com so they can take a look at your project file to see if there’s anything wrong with your file.

As to removing the black from a TGA4, if you simply import it into a video editing software like premiere, the black background automatically disappears, since it reads the alpha channel. In Photoshop you would have to Command-click on the alpha channel, then cut and paste your RGB channels onto a new layer, since Photoshop won’t let your “background” layer contain transparency.

~Lilly

Hi Ross,

I saw that your email came through to support@toonboom.com, so I’m not sure what you were doing why the email was failing before but someone should address your issue shortly.

~Lilly