export pdf with masked images

Hi,

I cant find a setting to export a storyboard with the camera mask on so you will not see any images outside the frame but I cant find such a setting.
Help needed to fix this

Hi, did you ever find a solution for this? I would love to know if you have.

Devs, can you please answer this question? I want nice, clean storyboards with out all my trash outside of the camera showing.

Have you tried setting the PDF options’ Panels tab like this?

https://fileshare.toonboom.com/wl/?id=quIlwUtf7S8VZd9TYjmqDQp6Z9bLHtU6

Thanks,
Seems to work fine.

I tried this as suggested and it didn’t work at all.

I just wanted to add to this post again. The settings someone above recommended didn’t work for me. I’ve still not resolved this issue. On another note, I’m not sure why you have to apply a special formula to get the camera mask to apply to a PDF export. My solution, as recommended by Ron at tech support was to create a white “mask” over each image… which, since some of my camera frames are dutched or different sizes is an absolute pain the the neck (not to mention incredibly time consuming and looks terrible) just to achieve something the program is already doing on the desktop.

Why? Why is there not just a check off option in the settings for “Apply camera mask to output”… or something like that? Or better yet, in the PDF review work space, an option to apply the masks on frames I want…since some require no mask.

This is insanely frustrating.

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Applying the camera mask in the panel options for export does not resolve the issue.

Please help.

Hi,

Yes I think I found out how to do it but I dont remember what is was.
There is a choice in the pdf export settings on panels.

It could be that you should select “Render Camera”. first row at the bottom.

/ Mattias

Hello all,

(seriously: has this thread been dating 4 years ago?)
I’m on Mac with Storyboard pro 7 and the problem is still there.

I have this solution: you can create a mask in a layer and then with Layer → Spread Layer Motion copy it in all the scene’s panels (but you have to do it with ALL yours scenes…)

But, onestly, I find kinda disappointing this basic problem stay still unsolved.

DD

I have been pulling my hair out with this issue for near two days and it has been an extreme time suck. The only time that the thumbnails edit out the extra work is when you export using the overview templates and you have to display at least a 4x3 layout. If you do anything less than that then the image windows will open out on the sides and voila you are looking at all of those ugly lines on the sides and top. It’s sad because it turns a fairly easy and fast process such as doing thumbnails into a stressful and heady process. You’re supposed to work loose and not worry about the borders. In PSD I draw a mask around the frame and draw loose. So, without being able to do this it stiffens the drawing process up.

I love you ToonBoom but the fact that we can’t generate clipping masks as well as the fact that we have to literally draw a mask to export clean versions of our boards sort of disqualifies this as a Pro application. Sorry… I really do love the software but… yeah.

Thank you, DanDaniel I’m using this solution right now but it is beyond ghetto. You’re making my life a bit easier but I wish I didn’t need to do this. We should receive the addition of masks and a proper render camera mask as a free update for the software, not as a new feature and before the next update.

One more thing… Can we please export the thumbs and boards as jpg, png, etc. and not just as a pdf? Export to pdf is very 2000…

Okay…

So, until ToonBoom fixes this I came up with the following solution.

1. Create a layer mask for you aspect ratio.
    A. Use the shape tool to draw a rectangle. Then draw another around it. Go big and beyond the area where you’ll draw n print. Fill it using the auto-matte or paint tool.
    B. Name that layer (i.e. 1080p_Frame Mask), make a Frame Masks folder in your Library, and drag it into that folder. It is now a .tpl file

2. Draw to your hearts content.

3. Take the frame mask template, drag it into a panel and right click to copy the layer (different from a normal CMD+C or CTRL+C). I’ve gone in and set up a keyboard shortcut for this (CMD+OPTION+C)

4. Then select all of the panels you want to add the frame mask to.

5. Paste special (I’ve also set up a keyboard shortcut for this.
    A. A dialogue box will appear and select [ONCE-HOLD]. This will paste to all of the selected layers, whether you chose just within the scene or the entire project.

6. Print using the thumbnails format of your choice.

SUGGESTIONS:

I would make frame mask templates for different aspect ratios and also different colors depending on whether or not you are going to print (You’ll want a white one if you’re going to print. You can choose a different color if you’re going to share digitally in order to give it a little more presence in terms of presentation). Set those keyboard shortcuts up first. After you get done making the mask, which you should do VERY CAREFULLY because you’re going to use it a bunch until this is fixed. Don’t worry about placing the framing mask until you are done with all of your drawing. Think of it as a print prep process. Use the camera mask while you draw and then set this layer once you’re 100% happy with your work and ready to print. I really wish it didn’t have to be this way but it is. The setup may seem long but you only do it once and after that its drag, copy and paste.