Export Formats, Editing programs

What is the best format to make a TBS4 animation in for exporting eventually to DVDs? (Looking for highest quality, and also to be able to have flexibility in converting to other formats once it’s in DVD - example: later, to be able to load up to Youtube, send through email, etc. ).

Also, which is the (ease of use, best quality/flexibilty) editing program that works best wi TBS4: Final Cut, Premier, Sony Vegas, Avid or any other suggestions.

I’m using a PC.

Thanks for any help!
Phil

Well, personally, I would recommend creating all new projects in HDTV 1920 x 1080…
Leaving plenty of room for exporting later to any smaller size if necessary.

Stay with your chosen format through your whole project… either export as QuickTime Movie,
e.g. Animation, AIC = Apple Intermediate Codec (Mac)…
(stay uncompressed as long as possible),
or export as image-sequence (PNG, TIFF, PSD…), either assemble in QuickTime (or else),
or import those files directly into your video editor

Depending on the operational system (Windows or Mac) one has many choices…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software

After Editing, import those files into your chosen Authoring software for burning to DVD,
this will take care of the appropriate compression…

Regards
Nolan

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply, Nolan.

Just one other thing; would you recommend HDTV 1080 at 24p or 25p? My eventual audience will probably be in N. America.

Thanks again for you help.
Phil

For North America / Canada / Japan… = NTSC = 30 frames per second…
For Europe / Australia / Asia / Africa… = PAL = 25 frames per second…

For Cinema / Film… = you might go for 24 fps, or just to give it the “cine-look”
(whatever that means…?), even if you’re not aiming at the film-market…

Quote:”

Frame Rate vs Refresh Rate

What makes things confusing is the concept of how many separate and discreet frames are displayed every second, verses how many times the frame is repeated every 1/24th, 1/25, or 1/30th of a second to match the refresh rate of the Television display.
TVs have their own screen refresh capabilities. A television’s screen refresh rate is usually listed in the user manual or on the manufaturer’s product web page.
The most common refresh rate for today’s Televisions are 60hz for NTSC-based systems and 50hz for PAL-based systems. However, with the introduction of some Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players that can actually output a 24 frame per second video signal, instead of the traditional 30 frame per second video signal, new refresh rates are being implemented by some television display makers to accommodate these signals in the correct mathematical ratio.
If you have a TV with a 120hz refresh rate that is 1080p/24 compatible (1920 pixels across the screen vs 1080 pixels down the screen, with a 24 frame per second rate). The TV ends up displaying 24 separate frames every second, but repeats each frame according to the refresh rate of the TV. In the case of 120hz each frame would be displayed 5 times within each 24th of a second.

How TVs Handle 1080p/24

If a TV is 1080p/60 or 1080p/30 - only compatible, it would not accept the 1080p/24 input. Currently, only Blu-ray Discs and HD-DVD discs are the main sources of 1080p/24 material. However, most Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players convert the outgoing signal to either 1080p/60 or 1080i/30 so that the information can be processed by a TV properly for screen display if it is not compatible with 1080p/24.
NOTE: Although 1080p/60-only TVs cannot display 1080p/24 - 1080p/24 TVs can display 1080p/60 via video processing.
“Quote Ends

Regards
Nolan

Hi Nolan,
Thanks again for the quick reply!
Sorry to be a little thick on these subjects, but I’m new at this.
Actually, I have a literary agent that may pick it up and market as a film. After they see it, they’ll decide if it’s just better to be produced as a DVD for smaller scale sale (they would be selling world-wide, but mostly in the US market).

If I went for the 2K Film 4:3 format at 24, would I be able to still have it easily converted to a DVD that could be seen on N. American TVs?

If it’s not going to be produced as a film, is HDTV 1920 x 1080 24 better than 25?

Thanks for your patience!
Phil

Well, personally, I wouldn’t touch 4:3 anymore…
(all my projects are created in 1920 x 1080 25 fps)

Keep in mind that all new TV animation is commissioned in 16:9…
Broadcast HDTV comes only in widescreen anyway…

Have a look at the QuickTime HD guide and the BBC motion gallery:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/
I guess, those are all shot in the frame-rate of the target-market…

Even some countries still broadcast in 4:3 - it might be a good idea to create your animation in 16:9, but keep your main action within the 4:3 area - that will keep your action safe, should your movie go through an “Aspect Ratio Converter”…

You might ask your agent what he or she prefers…?

Whatever you might choose, here is some more information:
http://www.zerocut.com/tech/pulldown.html
http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

Regards
Nolan

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for all the great suggestions, info and links. I’ll check with my agent. It looks like the 1920 x 1080 25 fps will be best (I did the math, and that’s the same as 16:9, right?).

Sincerely,
Phil