Exclude a layer from the Camera?

Before I post here I always go through the User Guide. I swear I do. :slight_smile:

Question:
Is it possible to exclude a layer from the Camera?
Example: I’m moving forward with the Camera into a night street view. At the very back I have a sky of stars.
As it is now, the stars move forward with the camera.
I’d like them to stay completely still, as if they were not attached to the Camera.

I’ve been looking for some ‘Override Camera, Exclude from Camera, whatever, function’ but have found nothing…

thanks in advance…
Josh

hello.

my advice would be to connect that layer to the camera layer so it moves with it and seems to be standing still. I use that for credits in my animations.

hope that helped.

thank you Gino
Not quite sure how that’s done…
There are ‘connected’ and ‘unconnected’ functions in the Layer properties, but no indication they could be related to the Camera.
I tried dragging the ‘stars’ layer onto the camera peg, but to no avail (the stars disappear).
I’m nitpicking the Guide but can’t find anything on this.

P.S. I’m using Animate2 regular, not PRO. Maybe it can’t be done with this version?

Hi,

You are on the right track.

The reason why your stars disappear is probably because they pass behind your sky.

First:
Did you create any multiplane in your scene, meaning, are you elements pushed back on the Z-axis?
When I do a truck in and I want to create a perspective illusion, I create a multiplane and I push back my sky and my stars very very far back.

Second:
If you do not want to create a multiplane and hook your stars to the camera, it will be handy for you to know that when you attach an item to the camera, on top of the current Z position of your element (stars), it will add the Z position of the Camera.

Let me break that down for you.

1. By default, the Camera layer is position at +12, so it is pulled back to see the elements on the stage.

2. When adding a Peg to the Camera, that Peg Z position is at 0.

3. If you did not move your stars, the Z position is at 0.

Up to now, everything is the same.

Now, if you attach you stars to the Camera PEG, you add the Z position of the Camera PEG to the Z position of your stars (0 + 0 = 0)

So, again, all fine.

Now if your peg is animated, let’s say at frame 50, your camera peg is at -5 (zoomed in 5 fields), lets do that same addition again.

- Camera is +12 and Peg is - 5: 12 - 5 = +7
You camera is +7 so you can still see the items on the stage at 0.

- Stars default Z is 0 and Camera peg is -5: 0 - 5 = -5
You stars are now at -5 (meaning 5 backward)

If your stars are at -5 and your background 0, it means your stars are behind your sky.

So either back up your sky or attach the sky to the peg too.

Sorry about the long mathematical explanation. :slight_smile:
I hope it will help you solve your problem.

Marie-Eve

yeah, by connect I meant to drag and drop it onto the camera layer.

Hi,

As GinoZump says, you have to drag and drop it indeed.
Although, make sure to drag it onto the camera PEG layer, not the camera itself.

Marie-Eve

Thank you a lot for the detailed and clear answer, Marie-Eve.

The explanation worked (arithmetics included).
You solved the day! Er… I mean, the night.
:slight_smile:

Thank you Gino, too.

Josh

Great!

Marie-Eve

chanyuan0811

ugg outlet

michael kors outlet

swarovski jewelry

beats by dre

ugg boots

ferragamo shoes