Error while saving

:-[

I’m using the evaluation copy of TBS and going through the tutorial, trying to create a scene. I’ve got four drawing elements and it seems to work alright. I’ve been saving my work as I go, but this last time I tried to save I got an error message that said -

"Error while saving the animation set.
Toon Boom Templates.tbc.new is not a valid Toon Boom Studio file."

I haven’t read anything about templates in the tutorial yet so I don’t think I’ve created one and I definitely haven’t named anything 'Toon Boom Templates.tbd.new’

I don’t want to lose what I’ve done and have to go back through the tutorial and now I’m afraid to close the program in case I do.

What is this error and how can I ensure that I’ve saved my work? I tried renaming the file with the Save As command, but I get the same error.

Hi,

Try the following solution:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/tbs/kb/questions/13/Error-%26%2339%3B%26%2339%3B-cannot-open-Toon-Boom-Templates.tbc.-Invalid-library-file-%26%2339%3B%26%2339%3B

If you still have difficulties afterward let us know.

Best regards,

Ugo

I have encountered the same problem on my new iMac (with Leopard installed) when evaluating the trial version of Toon Boom Studio 4.

Did the proposed solution solve the problems?

… and if so, how does the solution really work?
i.e. what does “right click in the left side of the template library” exactly mean? I was not able to apply this.

> Error ‘’ cannot open Toon Boom Templates.tbc. Invalid library file ‘’
> On Mac you might get the error message saying “cannot open Toon Boom > Templates.tbc. Invalid library file”. It happens when two versions of Toon > Boom Studio is installed on Mac. Right click in the left side of the template > library and select ‘‘Restore Default Template’’ to solve this problem.

Best regards,
stiviboy

???

Hi Stiviboy,

First, a brief explanation of what is going on when you get this error. Basically what happens is that due to some permission conflict during the installation of Toon Boom Studio (mostly on Mac since people don’t always use administrator account) Toon Boom Studio ends up trying to modify a file inside its own package, file which should not be modify anyway.

Now normaly what you would do to clear this out would be to close the current Toon Boom Template library and reopen it afterward. To first close it go and open the template library through the top menu Window>Library. The template library will happear in a window seperated in 3 zones. The top left zone is the Preview zone, it may look like and empty gray space with a white square in it. Underneath it is located the library list. In there should be listed the Loca,Global and Toon Boom Template list. Then to the right side of those will be the list of templates themselves. In any case the import part here is the library list (where Local and Global is).

The first thing to do there will be to close the Toon Boom Templates if there are shown. To do this right click (cntrl+click on Mac) on the Toon Boom Template and do Close Library. The Toon Boom Templates should be removed after this command is done. Then in the same place you cntrl+clicked earlier do another Cntrl+click and this time use the Reload Default Templates command. This should bring back the Toon Boom Templates and should have fixed the permission issue.

If you are still having difficulties afterward let us know.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo,

thanks for this advice. It works quite well
… but brings me only to the next problem:

When I try to save the project the following message appears:

"Error while saving the animation set.
Unable to rename Global.tbc to Global.tbc.deleted"

I assume, it is a similar reason to make this happen.

Which operation would help now?

Best regards,
stiviboy

:-\

Hi Stiviboy,

Sorry I could not answer any sooner. If you get the Global library error this most likely means you do not have all the permissions on the folder where the Global Library is saved. If possible try getting administrative rights over your machine for this seem to be related to limited rights. If not you can always change the location of the Global library through the Edit>Preferences. Then select a folder where you know you can read/write and delete files.

Best regards,

Ugo