editing Drawing Substitution window

I’ve got my first character cut up and ready to animate, but my drawing substitution is all screwed up and I can’t figure out why.

For instance, I’ve got 9 cells of different mouths in order in the timeline. As I play or scrub right the mouths appear in order of the lipsync chart. But when I follow the steps to make a template and import into a new scene my mouth replacement in the drawing substitution is in the wrong order and some of the numbers have underscores in them. I want it in the proper order.

I can see (in the scene where my character was created and brokedown) if I hover over each individual mouth cell in the timeline, the cell name corresponds to the drawing substitution name for that cell ie 1, 2, 1_7 etc.

So is there a way to change the name of the drawing or cell itself? If so I can then rename each cell in order 1, 2, 3 etc and the drawing substitution window will keep them in the proper order.

I also am having the same trouble with other drawing substitution elements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am close… I went to rename my first mouth 1, ended up having to name it 1_1_1 because 1 and 1_1 already existed.
So then I added a blank cell in xsheet, entered 1, and the drawing associated with the number 1 appeared. I selected it and deleted selected drawing… but now in the drawing substitution window number 1 still exists but without any drawing.

Is there a way to now name the appropriate mouth 1?

I got it. :slight_smile:

When deleting you have to be sure to select the CELL… then you can right click Drawings>Delete selcted drawings. I didn’t do that… even though you said so :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Lilly. BTW are you the author of all those tutorials I’ve been watching non-stop the last 3 weeks?

There definitely is. I think it’s easiest to do this from the XSheet, because in the XSheet you can see both the cell and the name of the drawing.

If you select the drawings, you can right-click and do Drawings > Rename by Frame. That’s probably the fastest.

You can also rename an individual drawing by right-clicking and selecting Drawing > Rename Drawing.

One thing to be aware of though is that if you already have some other drawings with those names, it won’t rename to that name. So if it tries to rename to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 but it sees that there’s already a drawing named 2, it’ll name it 2_1.

If you want to delete the drawing, then you just need to expose the problem drawing and delete it. To do this, choose an empty cell in the XSheet, then double-click on the cell and enter 2. This will now expose drawing 2 on that frame. It may have something in it, or it may be empty, but either way you can select the cell, then right-click and select Drawings > Delete Selected Drawing.

Just be aware that by default, when you’re working in the Timeline or the XSheet, and you delete a cell, it doesn’t delete the drawing, it only deletes the exposure of the drawing on that frame. The drawing itself still exists in the bucket (and then also still exists in your drawing substitutions in the library).

Hope this cleared some of that up!

~Lilly

There are two sets of video tutorials. The ones on the website in the Animating section were recorded by another employee here at Toon Boom. I’m the Product Manager and I also put out the weekly Tip of the Week videos.

8)

Glad you got it!

~Lilly