Drawing tools in TBS

I have just tried using TBS to do animation, having previously used Flash to do everything bar camera moves. I have to say that the drawing tools in Flash 8 are a lot better than TBS. I find that to do detailed work where you have to zoom in is almost impossible because the brush size zooms as well, so it is no help at all.

The reason I’m saying this is that I was seriously considering purchasing Solo for a future project, and have talked with your sales team recently about doing so, but now I am unconvinced. I know that Solo offers advanced tools compared to Studio, but you’re really going to have to convince me that Solo is a lot better than Flash, which, by the way is out as Flash CS3 with even more scope.

I will continue to use TBS to do camera moves, but if you’re wanting me to part with that much hard-earned cash a demo version of Solo would be good start, so at least I can see what I’m paying for. The reason I got into TBS was because I had TBS express free with a PC magazine a few years ago.

I’m wanting produce high-quality animation with as much ease as possible, and as I’m traditionally trained in animation, I would want a program that would work with me, not against me - which unfortunately is what I’ve found so far.

Having spoken to your team and from the evidence I see of the Toon Boom family, you guys are into supporting animators whatever level they’re at. All I ask is that you’d take a look at the opposition and come up with something far better, so that there wouldn’t be an issue here. I know that other Flash animators feel the same about the Toon Boom family, in that in some respects Flash is more user-friendly and the results can be far better.

I’d be interested to know what other TBS and Flash users think.

I don’t have flash so I can’t speak to it, but when I was reading up on what software I wanted to go with, most of what I read said that TBS is much more friendly to the traditionally trained animator. Things like the exposure sheet, rotating light table, and pegs are features that I don’t believe flash has & I would think are appealing to those with a traditional background.

I can see what you’re saying about zooming in way far, but in my own experience I’ve never had much problem with it. If I need to go in that far for high detail, I usually am using a very small pen, & while the lines do look thicker than normal, they are still in proportion to everything else, so I don’t find it off-putting.

I may not be getting exactly what you mean though, having not used flash I’m not in much position to make comparrisons.

To be honest, there’s a bit of mystery about Toon Boom simply because there’s not that much info around about it, and not just with Studio, but with Solo and the rest of the Toon Boom family.

I know that you’re working on that, with the video tutorials, but come on, let’s see what TBS can really do! If you’re not sure about Flash, have look at www.coldhardflash.com - these are some of the people you need to be listening to, especially what they have to say about Toon Boom.

I’ve been there, & I will listen to anyone’s opinion if they give valid reasons for it. I’ve heard flash users that don’t like TBS & some that think they work in almost perfect harmony together. It seems to me that many people that learn one program have trouble learning another, regardless of which they learned first. Once people learn both thoroughly, however, I think they like how the two programs interact & compliment each other. I really wasn’t trying to knock flash at all, in fact I have every intention of buying it eventually. Just happens that I’m hemorrhaging money at the moment :slight_smile: so it will have to wait.

I do agree that there are noticably less Toon Boom info/support/examples available across the internet. All I can figure is that it has something to to with the relative # of Flash users to TBS users. If there are 10x more people useing flash, then it’s reasonable that there are 10x more flash resources available throughout the web.

That said, there are some of us that are trying to make TBS more accessible to new/potential users. I can only encourage more people to do the same, as ultimately that’s the only way to at least narrow the gap between flash & tbs information. While numbers will most likely remain in flash’s favor, if we can provide quality of information over quantity then maybe more people will begin giving TBS a try.

I’m not sure if this applies to you or not, but some Flash users expect a seamless, no learning curve experience when coming to Toon Boom. Even after the tutorials, it took me a bit to take full advantage of Toon Boom’s range of capabilities. At one point I was about to just go back to Flash when I realized the possibilities of a few of Toon Boom’s features that I had been under-utilizing.

I think Kdog nailed when he mentions the ratio of users and the amount of information and content about Toon Boom. However, check out Toon Boom’s demo reel and you’ll see a good many high-end studio pieces on there. Toon Boom products were used in the making of Curious George, Triplettes of Belleville, Simpsons, King of the Hill, and more. Conversely, I think Flash is used in a number of TV productions like Foster’s Home and others.

The nice thing about Solo is that you can do everything you need to do right there in the program, including effects. Scenes, however, must be edited together in a video editing program. I’ve found Solo’s drawing interface similar to Studio, but the brush tool a little more traditional in its feel. You can also do rough and cleanup in the same layer/element in Solo because you can select by color, then delete.

Also in Solo, you can put your line art and paint on separate layers, allowing you to animate and test with or without fill.

The Toom Boom team is highly responsive to the users and continues to taylor the product for us. When I first started using TBS I came up against a frustration a few times and go the help I needed from the forum and the booomers.

Features i love most about TBS:
Rotating Drawing disk
Cells tab in Properties
Lip synch
Sound editor
Pegs
Color transform FX.

Gotta run–kids are now in my classroom!

Thanks for the replies. I’ve spoken to a couple of studios mentioned on the TB website and asked them of their experiences using Solo and Harmony. You and them have been really helpful - the TB sales team have, but the cynic in me doesn’t believe salesmen, so it’s good to hear people who have nothing to gain from promoting a product.

I’m a simple man and I know that when I see the stuff made using TB software I’m impressed because it suits my style of animation.

I’m developing a series for Christian TV and I want to a decent job of it, using software that will make the process easier. After hearing your thoughts and those of studios worldwide I’m inclined to agree that Solo/Harmony is the software that’s right for me.

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate your help.

You can chek out my stuff at www.planetsunday.com