Drawing Substitutions 2

Well, I’m not sure that this is the way to do the Drawing Substitutions, but here is what I’m doing and it works.

I’ve made a drawing layer from within the Symbol and made about thirty variations on the 1st drawing symbol. I put the first one on the Stage, but as I mentioned in the other post I didn’t initially see the other ones in the DB window. So, I went back to the Symbols and Copied Object and Pasted Object with 3 frame exposures for each one. Now, I see the Substitutions in the Drawing Sub window on the Stage. But I had to go back and forth between the Symbol drawings and the Stage to make it work. Is this the right way to do this? it does work and I’m delighted!

Okay Lilly,

In the Symbol Window I made many variations on the Drawing in each frame a new variation. They all show up in the Drawing Substitution Window in the Symbol Window. The issue was when I went back to the Stage the only symbol that appeared in the Drawing Substitution Window was the first one: the original symbol. So I don’t get what I’m doing wrong.

I don’t see “Go grab frame 1, etc.,” at all. Is this in the Pro Version? I have the regular version of Animate 2.

I’m not sure if I read this correctly but here’s what you need to do when working with symbols:

Inside your symbol, on each frame, you should have a different drawing. That way back on your main stage, when you use the drawing substitution window, it will say “Go grab frame 1 of the symbol” then “Go grab frame 2 of the symbol” and so on and so forth. You don’t need to have each drawing exposed for more than one frame inside your symbol - but if you do, it shouldn’t cause you issues.

~Lilly

What I meant when said “Go grab frame 1” was internally what is happening when you substitute a drawing when you’re working with a symbol.

Let me see if I can explain it in a bit more of a clear fashion (sorry if sometimes I don’t make sense!).

1. I draw a 1 on frame 1, a 2 on frame 2, a 3 on frame 3
2. I select the drawing layer and go to Edit > Create Symbol (F8).
3. I double-click to go inside of the symbol by clicking on the symbol icon in the right side of the library. When I do so, I notice that there is only one drawing inside. The reason is that when I had selected the drawing layer, I had only one frame selected. This is probably what you did.
4. So I go back to the main timeline and delete the new symbol. I create a new symbol, but this time instead of selecting the layer on the left side of the timeline, I select frames 1-3 on the right side of the timeline. Now I do an Edit > Create Symbol (F8).
5. Now I can double-click to go inside of my symbol and I see all three drawings inside.
6. I could even add some more drawings once I’m inside the symbol. I will need to of course drag and drop the symbol back onto the timeline so that I have access to the symbol instead of just the original drawing layer. Make sure that you can see a blue movie strip on the cells in the timeline - then you know for sure that you’re looking at your symbol.

I hope that’s a bit clearer!