drawing on A4 paper but resizing it in toonboom

Hello,

I wanted some advice please.
I would like to do some 2d animation for a film that i am making.
I have A4 paper and i also have professional animation paper to do my work.
when i upload A4 paper with my drawings on into toon boom can it tell whether the paper is smaller when it comes to the final output of my film? i will be keeping it to the field guide. but i was just wndering if i should use larger animation paper instead?
if i use A4 paper is there anyway of resizing it in toon boom so that it can look like its proper animation paper which is roughly 33 by 27 cm

I’m not sure I understand your concern so I thought I might ask you a few questions to get a better picture of the issue.

I am making a few assumptions based on what you have already written.
I am assuming that you are planning to draw on some type of paper (size to possibly be determined) and then you plan to scan your drawings and import those scans into ToonBoom where you will composite the drawings into your film. I couldn’t tell if you were planning to “ink and paint” inside TBS or not, but assuming that you didn’t mention using acetate cells before scanning that doesn’t seem to a part of your proposed process. You may in fact be planning to just present pencil animation without any ink and paint which is perfectly OK too.

So I have to assume that your concern is not really about paper size but actually about drawing registration, IE how to align your drawings both on paper and inside TBS. Is this in fact the case?

I will assume that it is. So the next question is do you plan to use punched paper and some form of peg bar for registration on your drawing board? If so then you will want to use a similar arrangement on your scanner bed. You will need to mount an identical peg bar to the scanner so that all your scans are registered exactly like you drew them. Also are you planning to draw at a minimum a pair of registration marks on each drawing as an additional aid to aligning drawings inside TBS? Typically this means drawing a plus sign or X in the exact same spot on the left and right top of your drawing paper. That way you have a method to line up sequential drawings inside the software. If not I suggest that you do this as well.

Basically if you register your drawings when you draw them and you follow the methods I have suggested for transferring that registration thru the scanning and importing processes you should find that you will be in pretty good shape.

As you can see the size of the paper is less of an issue than the method of registration and how you implement that in your process.

As to the final size of your drawing in your film. If everything is registered when you draw it and transfer it into TBS then you can scale all cells in an element identically at the same time in TBS. Additionally you can scale and do most anything using TBS’s sophisticated camera stand and key framing controls.

I hope this helps you to move forward with your project -JK

Hi,

Please help me.
i am using toon boom studio 6, i want to make a film and i want to use A4 paper instead of animation paper for my 2D drawings because A4 paper will fit through my scanner, then i will save as all images a jpeg’s and then put all the jpeg files into toon boom. will it make a diffrence to the production of my film if i use A4 paper instead of animation paper. even although i will stick to the film guide ratio?

Many thanks

Hi Laura,

No, it doesn’t mattter if you’re drawing on A4 paper instead of professional animation paper: that’s what I do and it’s all good.

Also unless you want to preserve a specific texture (sketchy, pastel…) you can save the hassle of saving every drawing as a jpg before you import them in studio. You can scan and vectorize them straight from Studio if your scanner support TWAIN.

I think we should normalize this and should call education instead of special education.Some https://www.uk-dissertation.com/write-my-dissertation.html work for welfare and for concern of students.I must say you should keep posting new and informative stuff.