drawing on 1 frame, but auto exposes 4 frames

i’m new to/learning harmony 12.2.1, been using tv paint and after effects for a decade. never learned flash very well, so, it’s similarities to harmony don’t help…
my first question posted (among many i’m guessing):
right now i’ve accidentally set the exposure to 4 frames; whenever i draw on 1 frame. advice on where to reset this? (submenu ‘set exposure to’ doesn’t seem to do anything, even when i set it to various #'s to test it.) the attached screenshot shows a single drawing on only 1 frame, but the exposure extends itself to 4; and the exposure box is ghosted out.

Charlie

charliecanfield.com

-Macbook Pro 15 inch, late 2008 OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 64 bit
8 GB memory

tb_033016.png

Did you draw on frame 1 or on frame 4? I don’t think there’s an automatic exposure fill feature ‘forward’, but, by default the timeline is filled before the current drawing you make. For instance, if you draw on 1, 5 and 10, you’ll have auto fill from 2 to 4 with drawing 5 and from 6 to 9 with drawing 10.

If this is the issue you can override the option going to Preferences > Exposure Sheet and on ‘Drawing Creation’ you can deselect ‘Extend Exposure of Previous Drawing’. Above, you have the option to have your drawing named according to the frame number or not, that is, when drawing on frames 1, 5, 10 you can have the drawing named 1, 5 and 10 or, instead, by order of their creation, 1, 2 and 3.

Luis Canau

hi Luis-
as an example: brand new layer, draw on frame one, exposure immediately extends to 4 frames, and is reflected as such in both the timeline and the xsheet.
i’m familiar with the ‘extend’ option in prefs; doesn’t seem to apply here.

i just resorted to ‘restoring all defaults’ in prefs; it fixed the ‘problem’, and then i updated the prefs i’ve set already and still want.
still- it’s going to be key to using this program under job stresses to be able to locate immediate answers to these mysteries without resorting to clearing the slate and starting over every time one occurs…

Actually, I was wrong, there’s a type of autofill exposure forward. For that to happen you would have to go to the Xsheet menu and select Exposure > Hold Exposure > Hold 4 cells (or another value). With this selected, every time you draw the drawing will be automatically exposed on 2s, 3s, etc. This is different from the exposure option via the timeline that only apply to selected drawings. Maybe you selected that by accident? There’s default shortcuts for this: ctrl+1 to ctrl+4, so I imagine that could be activated by accident, but it doesn’t seem to work with me…

Luis Canau

yea, found that before but it didn’t appear to help the phenomenon, but, who knows, prolly operator error… i’ll watch for it to happen next time. thanks for your input!
side question- are you happy with this software? or happier with any other? i’m looking forward to harmony’s potential, but it’s going to be a long haul for me.