Drag and duplicate is moving frames instead of duplicating them

Hey!

Sorry if this is obvious. I’m just starting to use Harmony, and I’m trying to add an anticipation frame by dragging the frames and making duplicates out of them. I believe this should be done by pressing COMMAND+dragging the frames across, however this is simply moving them instead of creating copies.

Please let me know if there’s an easy solution here, this would cut my workflow down massively.

THANKS!

By default, when copy pasting or drag and dropping Harmony fills exposure, it does not create new drawings. This is useful when doing timing, especially cycles. Your project will be lighter and if you have a cycle 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3, etc., if you need to correct drawing 1 you would correct only one drawing not all the frames in which it is exposed. By the same logic, deleting a frame from the Timeline only removes the exposure not the drawing itself.

If you want to duplicate a drawing you can (1) click on it and press the Duplicate Drawing icon on the top of the Timeline (icon with a plus sign with an arrow and two sheets of paper), (2) right-click, Drawing > Duplicate Drawings or (3) use shortcut alt+shift+D. Then you can drag that duplicate.

This might be annoying if you’re used to a different behaviour on another software but it makes sense after you’re used to it or if you start working in animation with this concept.

Depending on how you want to use the duplicated drawings, you can:

1. Selected a point of an exposure - for instance the 3rd of 5 frames of drawing-1 - and click Duplicate Drawing. You’ll have frames 1 and 2 of the original and 3-5 with a duplicate;

2. If you have a drawing exposed for a single frame, by duplicating it you’ll stop seeing the original and see only the duplicate (duplicate will not extend exposition, you expose the duplicate on the frame of the original). This will not delete the original, if you need it, you can look for it via Library or insert the number if you know it on the X-Sheet (if you use the X-Sheet);

If you want to copy paste a drawing creating a new drawing instead of repeating its exposure, you can:

1. Select a point in the exposure, such as the last frame, click duplicate, then copy paste that duplicate to another point in the Timeline;

2. Copy then Paste Special (control+B) and select “Always create drawing files”. If you want to do it again just do Paste Special Again (control+shift+B)

THANK YOU!!