downgrading quicktime on a mac

hi all -

just got an imac with the newest version of quicktime on it … took some hunting but i found a mac 7.16 version that i figure should work with TB4 … from what i could gather, moving qt from the application folder to the trash should have removed it … it didn’t, even after doing a restart … used apptrap to remove any resident support files but still no luck … it has been a while since i was on a mac so, any help to get the downgraded version installed would be greatly appreciated … currently getting the error message 'cannot install as a newer version is installed" thanks, dan

Hi,

I don’t think OSX will allow you to downgrade your version of Quicktime. Quicktime is considered to be part of the OS so they just prevent it from being deleted.

Regards,

Ugo

hi ugo -

thanks, i’m beginning to get that impression … any idea what i can do as a workaround? do you know if i can reinstall the o/s and bypass the installation of quicktime? or set up a windows partition, which would defeat the purpose of having a mac, and installing qt out there? or is there some other way i can render the frames and bypass qt altogether? if it sounds like desperation, it is :slight_smile: thanks, dan

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t really have any solution there. Unless you would install an older version of OSX which has a version of Quicktime previous to the one you want to install you might be able to get the version you want installed but you might not be able to run the older version of OSX on a new Mac machine which may be the problem.

Other then that you could always upgrade your TBS to version 4.5 and it should fix the Quick Preview issue you are having.

Regards.

Ugo

hi Ugo -

are you saying that tb 4.5 takes care of the quicktime issue? if that is the case, that would be the way for me to go … thanks, dan

Hi,

We no longer use Quicktime to do the Quick Preview inside version 4.5 of the software. It now opens a web interface and load it in your web Flash Player.

Regards,

Ugo

hi ugo -

that’s great - what about exports, will i be able to create .mov and .swf files without having to rely on quicktime? or are there other formats that are now used in place of the .mov and .swf … thanks, i really appreciate the information … dan

Hi,

For the export though the files are processed through Quicktime for movies so any extra codec you use needs to be Quicktime compatible. As for the export to swf we were the ones that were handling the export, it was the playback that was being done in Quicktime (which is no longer the case)

hi Ugo -

tried to purchase the upgrade but for some reason, my registration was not accepted … emailed sales/support/academia over the last couple of days - hopefully one of them will get back to me so we can settle the issue… meanwhile, i downloaded the trial version of 4.5 for the mac and it did render the internal view and also the exports to swf and .mov, which is great …i appreciate the help there … i can view the .mov files through quicktime but am having issues with viewing the .swf files as i do not have a swf reader installed … i went to adobe and downloaded the flash player, but cannot associate it to the swf file as the player was installed as a pluging … to what, i haven’t a clue nor can i associate it to the swf file … do you know if there is something i need to do to the flash player to make it the primary softward load when a swf file is encountered or do you know of a good flash player i can install that will allow me to associate the swf file with the player … thanks, I do appreciate your help … dan

Hi,

Our webteam and sales team are looking into this. They will contact you back concerning this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ugo

If you downloaded the flash player as a plug-in then that means it is associated with a browser application which on the Mac most likely is Safari. So go to a swf file and try to open it with Safari and it should play. Then you can associate Safari as the default to open swf type files. Just some thoughts on the subject-JK