distribute drawing

Hello Folks!
I am new to Toon Boom animation products.
I’m curious if someone knows a good trick for selecting objects on a drawing layer and then distributing the objects that are grouped or not touching each other to multiple drawing layers?

thanks!
14g

Hi,

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do is make a selection within a drawing and have everything outside of selection being transformed into a single layer, 1 layer per shape?

For the moment this is not yet possible, you would need to make your selection cut it then create a new layer and paste it in that layer then repeat for the other parts you want to have layered.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hey Ugo!
what I want to do is be able to select a bunch of discreet shapes on a layer
and then have those shapes distributed evenly to multiple layers.

For Example:
on 1 drawing layer I would have 3 shapes drawn. A square, a Circle and a Triangle. I would like to be able to select all 3 shapes and have Animate cut & paste them to their own layers. Instead of 1 layer with 3 shapes I would have 3 layers with 1 shape on each layer.

If Animate doesn’t have something to do this for me right now. Could you tell me if this is possible through scripting?

thanks!
14g

Hi,

I don’t think we have such a feature for the moment. Everything that is located within a single drawing need to be physically selected if you want to strip them outside of that drawing element.

As for scripting it may be possible through the SDK but if you planned on doing this with the QSA toolkit this probably won’t be possible to do since QSA has no direct access to the content of the drawing, it could affect the element itself but what is inside the drawing is not reachable with this scripting tool. I will forward this request to our product manager so he can review it.

So as previously explained for the moment the quickest way to achieve this would be by doing specific selection and copy/pasting in a new layer.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks Ugo!

I really appreciate the information you’ve given me.

cheers,
14g

Hi,

I am not aware of any specific beta testing being done at the moment but you might want to send an e-mail about this so we can forward it to the proper department.

Best regards,

Ugo

You don’t have exactly what you want but you can select all the lines of the Triangle and press F9 to create a layer with those lines automatically. Then do the same for the square and then the circle. It’s pretty quick when you build you character in one level for example and want to propagate the body parts to seperate levels.

The command is in Edit> Create Drawings from Drawing Selection (F9)

hey steve!

thanks for the tip! this way actually is not too terribly time consuming
and helps keep your layers organized by naming them at the same time.

I am looking exactly for the same function 14greg is looking for.
In Flash it’s called ‘Distribute to Layers’. With one command, you send each shape of a single layer to a new layer.
Very very very useful. Can Animate do this?
thanks,
Josh

Oops!
I just got to the right part of the Guide and learned about the F9 and F8 commands. Answers my question. :slight_smile:
thanks, cheers.
J