Discrepancies between Drawing and Camera Views

When I draw, assemble, and peg together a character in the drawing view, the character completely switches around in the Camera View (eg the arms disconnect, parts disappear, the left leg will end up somewhere around the right ear, etc…).

Once I reassemble the character in one view, it seems to fall apart in the other view. Is there a reason for this/ way around this?
Thanks,
Laura

Hello Laura,

You never got a reply to this post and it was a long time ago. I am trying out the program and I notice the same thing. Did you ever figure it out or did some one email you with an answer?

Also, I can’t zoom in in the drawing mode. Once the grid fills the window, I can’t zoom in farther than that. Anyone know what’s up with that. That’s not a real zoom.

Thanks,

John

Laura and John,

Drawing view and Camera View are there for very different purposes. To understand them better you need to relate them to the physical world or traditional animation. In traditional animation the animator draws at a workstation which usually has an animation disc which is lighted from above and below to facilitate seeing through multiple layers of drawing paper. The animator also usually has a field guide to use in planning and adjusting to how the art work will be moved under the animation camera when photographed. The actual scene composition and photography is done on the animation camera stand. So if you are following this explanation “drawing view” is the animator’s workstation. “Camera view” is the animation camera stand.

All scene planning is actually done when relating the art to the camera, TBS Pegs are the computer version of traveling peg registration bars and the movements possible on the compound table of a traditional animation stand. So how you orient things under the camera and how they look on your drawing board are usually very different, and should be. You would never actually use TBS pegs in “drawing view”. “D” in Draw is for drawing and “C” in camera is for compositing is an easy way to get this concept.

Now one of the confusions created by the Toon Boom team in trying to adjust to some user requests was to allow the software to support drawing in “camera view”, this is useful but it breaks the analogy to the tradiditional workflow and often is the source of misunderstandings. The biggest source of problems most people seem to have in learning TBS is their lack of connection and famaliarity with the traditional animation analogy which underlies the TBS software design and its usage. -JK

Interestingly I was just creating a simple set of eye balls with eye lids at various states of closure. By mistake I flipped the lids using “Element > Transform > Flip Vertical” instead of using the “Tools > Transform > Filp Vertical”. In my drawing view I saw no change yet when I swapped to camera view the lids had flipped 180 degrees some distance from the original position. This confused me for a while! When I discovered my error I reset the Element flip and then performed the Tools Flip and everything was as I would expect. I don’t know whether this is a feature (I’m new to TBS and animation) but it could be why your character is disjointed?

hey, have you already read my similar thread?
http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/toonBoomStudio/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2161;start=msg8464#msg8464

this could be a perfect workaround for my case:
element > transform > flip vertical (and then flip horizontal, additionally), because only one element got transformed, and i dunno why, because i haven’t deliberately (nor by mistake) done what you’ve done.

thanx for the report, anyway :slight_smile:
cheers,
rob

Hey guys.

I would like to try and expound on this a little bit. Pardon my newbieness if this is too dumb of a question.

I too am having this issue. I have a picture I cut into a puppet and I am drawing eyes and a mouth for it.

I assebled the picture in Scene Planning and then drew the Mouth and eyes as two separate elments.

Now when I want to do some edits/ draw more eyes and mouhs I switch to the drawing window and the head is not only not aligned with the Eyes and Mouth I drew in the scene planning screen it is also twice as big.

What I am tryin to figure out from this post is… are yu saying that because the two views are supposed to represent different areas of the animatin proess they shouldn’t be relied on to be acurate from one view to the other?

In other words… what I should be doing is Drawing in the Drawing View then assembling in the Scene Creation view? And it shouldn’t matter that they don’t line up?

I believe that this tutorial might help to clearly explain the purpose and differences between the two views and their respective usages. -JK

TOON BOOM FUNDAMENTALS - THE BASICS PART 2

I have my elements checked in the timeline and I can see them but when I press the camera view, it all disappears. How can I see my elements in the camera view?

So I have read the tutorials and the great Blog posts that have been recommended.

My problem was that I was creating half of the puppet, then assembling it, then going back and trying to create new things for my puppet. This resulted in things all over the screen. My big discovery came when I thought that I had my puppet all set however when I tilted the head the mouth didn’t go with it, even though it was part of the hierarchy of the puppet. Basically I diiscovered I had to remove the puppet from the skeleton add the mouth then reassemble it. Everything worked after that.

Since then I have gone back in the DRAWING VIEW and have started all over again. First I imported the jpg’s as vectorized drawings then I drew EVERYTHIING, then I went to the CAMERA VIEW and assembled everything. Everything lines up and is pretty.

The tool you have selected is very important!
The solid arrow is for Drawing View only and is used to select and move things.
The empty Arrow is for the Camera View and is used to align things that you don’t want recorded.
The Square box with the white squares on it is for moving things that you want recorded in the scene.
The Sleleton Manipulations Tool is for moving your puppet.

Once I got it into my head that which tool I have selected matters it slowly sunk in!

Moral of the story is: Have a plan, do all of your importing and drawing first, then do all of your bones and assembling, then do all of your scene action!