Different Angles in the Room

is there any way to draw a 3d room or do you draw 4 different angles to do it?

For example, I have a picture room picture that shoes the back wall and 2 side walls, is there any way to manipulate the picture to view the side wall straight on? (obviously will need to fix up things as after its manipulated)

Let’s start out with a physical world analogy that might help visually clear things up. A cell or a drawing in Toon Boom Studio is 2 dimensional, that is to say it has length and width but no actual depth. It is in fact a very very thin sheet of paper. Now this very thin sheet of paper can be transparent and only the lines and filled areas show otherwise we can see through the very thin clear paper to see other clear thin sheets of paper behind our first sheet of paper.

This stack of thin clear sheets of paper can create a multi-plane picture but although the planes can appear to be separated by some depth (actually it is an optical effect caused by just scaling the art work) we really don’t have more than 2 dimensions in our art. The way we get 3 dimensional work is to use optical tricks like perspective drawing and overlap and scaling and color shading ect.

So if you want to move your viewer around objects or environments (rooms) as if they were in a 3D world you have to use optical effects to create the appearance of 3D in a 2D art form. You have the same problem as a comic book artist who has to work on a sheet of paper. 3D has to be created because it doesn’t exist in 2D which is flat. Now there are software products that create a simulated 3D world but Toon Boom Studio is a 2D software and so it becomes the job of the artist to draw all the different views and angles as desired. You could build a physical model of a room like an architectural model and photograph it from all kinds of angles and import those photo into TBS as backgrounds. This is a trick used by animators like Bill Plympton to get past having to draw all the views but otherwise its all about perspective drawing. -JK

Does anyone use other progams?

to perhapes design a house in 3d. then extract the images and angles from there?

You could use Erain’s SWIFT 3D to create 3D models that can easily be imported into TBS. -JK

I have a question along these line… Even if you had a 3D model, the camera only points straight and shoots. How do you manipulate a 3D model or 3d background to have a 360 degree pivot?

I’ve been struggling with this because I have created a few 3d rooms but have not been able to add a motion to a peg that will allow the camera to view a 180 or 360 perspective… and I’ve tried everything to move the 3D room itself around the camera view in 180 or 360 perspective but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Here is how I add 3D objects into TBS so that I can take advantage of the 3D in an otherwise 2D environment.

I first create my 3D object ( props, buildings etc.) in 3D software. I use Erain’s Swift 3D because it has a vector rendering engine so I can get my objects as vectors as opposed to raster drawings. But that’s a personal preference as I prefer to work with mostly vector drawing objects.

Once the object is created I use the camera in Swift 3D to animate my views of the object. Basically I turn the object in front of the camera to get 360 degrees of rotation views. In some cases I will rotate the object around different axis to generate views from different angles. I actually have a series of built in actions that I just apply to the object to generate my typical views that I may want to use.

Once I have rendered out my 3D views of the object to SWF format, I import the SWFs into TBS which generates cells of all the frames in each 3D rotational rendering. Once the cells are created I drag them to the global library to turn them into reusable templates. That way I can pull them out of the library and add them to my projects as needed for a particular shot.

So in summary to get 3D views of anything in a 2D animation environment like TBS you have to create all of your views either by drawing them as cells or you can model your props and backgrounds in 3D in a 3D software tool and render out your model in all of the various views that you are going to want for your 2D system and then import all those rendered images in TBS to create your cells. Hope this gives you some ideas.

As a side note Swift 3D has a great toon shader feature that renders the 3D object to have a cartoon drawing look as opposed to a realistic 3D look which I prefer. The render options are a personal choice depending on the artist’s desired style. -JK

This is something that keeps coming up. Check out this thread. Quite helpful.

What I like to do though, is just set up a series of clear “blocks” with heavy black outlines in the 3D software (google sketchup) that represent the various objects of my scene. Of course, my shots were previously planned during the storyboard process. I later take snapshots at the various angles and export them (well I actually take desktop snapshots, but you get my point) to 2D images. What I’m left with is schematics of my scene looked at from the various angles. Pure perfect perspective lines. I use them as reference and hand paint my scene on top of them (in a different element or layer).

Toon Boom is not 3D enabled, so there’s no way to import a 3D scene into it and “explore” it. Even with toonshaders though, I’d say 3D scenes come out bleh! Have a great day!