Delete files

Hello everybody,

I noticed that when I delete a drawing, image or element in TBS, the respective file won’t be deleted from the project folder on the hard disk drive. This means not only the loss of valuable disk space, but also that I cannot rename existing drawings to a name that was once given to a deleted drawing.
Is there a way (perhaps a setting that I overlooked) where I can delete those files when I delete the respective drawings or images within the program?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Did a small test on version 4.0 to see what is going on and here is the behavior.

The files will remain existent as long as the file was not saved. This way if the software crash without notice there is a way to recover the drawing files by creating dummy drawing and replacing them by the ones in the folder (back them up somewhere else before creating the dummy ones).

In any case, when I did a save of the project all the drawings that were not in the scene anymore were removed from the drawing folder. I am not sure that you had tried to do a save (or maybe you are working on an older version). In any case if you need more information feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo,

Thanks for your reply. In fact, I did save the project. I even used the “save as…” dialogue to see if the program saves the unused files to a new folder, too. And so it did! Then I deleted all unused files manually from the hard disk, but still the program wouldn’t let me rename a drawing saying that this name already existed (although I deleted it). I am working with version 4 by the way.

Hi,

My mistake I just realized something. The way I did it was that I deleted the actual drawing element instead of specific drawings. The behavior you are getting is correct and it was already logged (yet partially fixed with the deleting of the whole elements). At the moment the best option is most likely the one you are using which is to physically delete the drawings that are no longer used in the drawing folder.

We are aware this is somewhat inconvenient and plan on fixing this in upcoming versions of Toon Boom Studio.

Best regards,

Ugo