Cut-out/Movie Clip Question

I got toon boom a few days ago and I was wondering how to ‘export/save’ Cut-outs, like the DerDer character that comes in the toon boom library. If i make my own cut out character character, add pegs and everything, how can I save the character so I can easily import him into another scene, or new movie, without having to import each limb over and over again. I hope that question is clear, sorry I am new to toonboom.

My other question is, how can I create Movie Clips (that is what they are called in flash) short animations, like a running/walking cycle that is in one piece. This way I can have the running movieclip glide across the screen giving the effect of someone running across the screen without having to animate all of the frames, saving a lot of time.

and sorry if this question has been asked already.

ohh man…nobody knows how to save a cutout for future import???

???

Hi Njoo2tb,
Just a question, did you watch the video tour and the cut out tutorial?

Sorry, I must be slowing down. Here is the step by step:

1. Create elements for your character’s cut out parts

2. Arrange these cut out part elements in a hierarchy of parent-child relationships (independent or integrated pegs as you choose) This is often called rigging.

3. Attach the rigged character to a top level parent peg, usually an independent peg element as opposed to an integrated peg in a drawing element.

4. Collapse the character’s hierarchy by collapsing the top parent peg (this is done using the triangle next to the parent peg’s track label in the timeline to hide all the attached tracks in its hierarchy.)

5. Open the library panel and navigate to the catalog of your choice for the destination of the template you want to save.

6. Go back to the timeline and click on & drag your character’s collapsed parent peg to your chosen library catalog. You will see the drag icon turn to a plus when the drag reaches the catalog and is accepted then release your mouse button and your rigged character is now saved as a reusable template.

7. To reuse the character just find it in the library catalog where you stored it and click on & drag the character to the timeline. If you only want to reuse it in a different scene of the same project you can use a local library catalog but if you want it for reuse in other projects use a global library catalog.

I hope this helps , if you have other questions don’t hesitate to ask them. -JK

Yes I have.

Sorry, I must be slowing down. Here is the step by step:

1. Create elements for your character’s cut out parts

2. Arrange these cut out part elements in a hierarchy of parent-child relationships (independent or integrated pegs as you choose) This is often called rigging.

3. Attach the rigged character to a top level parent peg, usually an independent peg element as opposed to an integrated peg in a drawing element.

4. Collapse the character’s hierarchy by collapsing the top parent peg (this is done using the triangle next to the parent peg’s track label in the timeline to hide all the attached tracks in its hierarchy.)

5. Open the library panel and navigate to the catalog of your choice for the destination of the template you want to save.

6. Go back to the timeline and click on & drag your character’s collapsed parent peg to your chosen library catalog. You will see the drag icon turn to a plus when the drag reaches the catalog and is accepted then release your mouse button and your rigged character is now saved as a reusable template.

7. To reuse the character just find it in the library catalog where you stored it and click on & drag the character to the timeline. If you only want to reuse it in a different scene of the same project you can use a local library catalog but if you want it for reuse in other projects use a global library catalog.

I hope this helps , if you have other questions don’t hesitate to ask them. -JK

Thank you very much JK, 5 and 6 were the crucial steps for me. I have just one more question. Assuming I have a walking cycle of my cutout character…is it possible for me to save the animated template? and how? (unless it is a very complicated procedure, then you can just give me a link to some tutorial)

There are two possible approaches;
1. You bring in your character from the library and animate the walk on the top level parent peg (the main character peg). All you would do is collapse that peg and drag it to the library catalog of your choice. Then you would have a template of the character and a second template of the character walking. When you use a template from the library and you modify the contents of that usage of the template it has no effect on the original template.

2. You bring in your character from the library and attach the character’s main peg to a new peg element, then you animate the character to do a walk in place on its main character peg and you animate the motion path of the walk on the new top level peg to which you attached your character’s main peg. Now you can collapse the character’s main peg and drag that to your library and have a template of the walk in place and then you can collapse the top parent peg on which you did the motion path and drag that hierarchy to the library and you will have both the walk in place and the motion path animation using the walk in place. The two templates you just created will be totally unique separate assets ready for later reuse. And you still have your original character template that you made before doing any of these walk templates. -JK

Thanks a bunch JK