Cut-out AND cel animation

Howdy all

I’ve had TBS for quite a few years and have used it off and on for a while, but lately I’ve been using Bauhaus Mirage because it’s BMP-based. That said, it’s very labor intensive, requiring full drawings for every scene. I’ve been working on a short for about a year now, and have just recently turned back to TBS to implement this project.

I am intrigued by the prospect of combining rigged elements with hand-drawn sequences. It is requiring quite a bit of pre-planning, but it’s coming along pretty well. The easing tools of TBS are fairly awkward to use, but that doesn’t mean you can’t hand-place the pegs frame to frame for a better, more lifelike effect. Ditto using hand-drawn sequences for close-ups and dialogue.

The exact process for doing this is very much a work in progress. As I get closer I’ll post examples my site and let y’all know about it here.

I intend to work out each scene and export it as a Quicktime. When I’m done I’ll cut the animation together using a non-linear editing system.

can you show us a bit of your mirage work?
and i look forward to your tbs project :slight_smile:
cheers,
rob