Custom Rigging Controls and Panels

I’m a 2D animation Rigger that works in Toon Boom Harmony and i think what would allow you to make some amazing rigs is the ability to make custom control panels and assign your own movement and functions, something like what you are able to do in Maya.

Yea or how anime studio does it. Those handles would make a huge difference for cutout rigs.

I think the handles in Anime Studio are responsible for a lot of unnatural / non-cartoonlike movement I observe in Anime Studio animation. Seems like you are better off grabbing the pieces directly if you are going to do puppet style. YMMV.

I agree. Though I think too much rigging can result in more CG like movement which can look surreal and out of place, having the option to position the body in several different states just by bending one bone would be extremely useful and labour saving!

Eh, i don’t think that’s a valid at all. What animation you do all depends on the animator, the tools can only follow the creator. The robotic movement is just the lack of proper training on the animators part.

Eh, i don’t think that’s a valid at all. What animation you do all depends on the animator, the tools can only follow the creator. The robotic movement is just the lack of proper training on the animators part.[/quote]
Of course the last word comes from the animator’s skill. That is part of the problem. A large percentage of people don’t pay attention or bother to understand movement or to develop plausible behavior. Many Anime Studio users just use the levers and don’t fine tune things. They don’t even know something is lacking. But what are you going to do when AS is affordable to people who want to dabble in animation, skilled, trained, educated or not?

The lever thing works well in 3D software partly because the context is consistently 3D. A 3D skeleton conforms to movement in simulated 3D space. If you do not (cannot?) imagine 2D objects are 3D objects moving in 3D space represented in a 2D environment you are in for trouble.

Ultimately, if it helps I am all for it being featured in Harmony. My comment was just pointing out what happens when people rely on automation for everything.

Eh, i don’t think that’s a valid at all. What animation you do all depends on the animator, the tools can only follow the creator. The robotic movement is just the lack of proper training on the animators part.[/quote]
Of course the last word comes from the animator’s skill. That is part of the problem. A large percentage of people don’t pay attention or bother to understand movement or to develop plausible behavior. Many Anime Studio users just use the levers and don’t fine tune things. They don’t even know something is lacking. But what are you going to do when AS is affordable to people who want to dabble in animation, skilled, trained, educated or not?

The lever thing works well in 3D software partly because the context is consistently 3D. A 3D skeleton conforms to movement in simulated 3D space. If you do not (cannot?) imagine 2D objects are 3D objects moving in 3D space represented in a 2D environment you are in for trouble.

Ultimately, if it helps I am all for it being featured in Harmony. My comment was just pointing out what happens when people rely on automation for everything.[/quote]
Yea I see what you mean. But at the same time, considering the price of harmony I don’t think that would be all to common. Most people outside of a studio or high end independant animation aren’t going to be paying for the cost of this software, so hopefully we’ll see some tools that make our lives easier (and if bad animation comes out of it for some people, that will be on them. Plenty of horrible animation/models have come out of maya too ;P).