creating the 'write on' effect in TBH14?

anyone know if there’s a procedure to create the effect of a line ‘writing on’ in Toon Boom Harmony?
in TVPaint there are a couple of ways to do this where you can record strokes and then adjust the frame count of the effect. e.g. you record yourself writing a word, and then speed it up or slow it down so that it writes on in your desired # of frames. i’ve enjoyed using this technique to maximize activity on screen during long sequences, and it would be great to be able to do it in a vector program (i’ve been limited to bitmap art in TVP).

here’s one of my examples: https://vimeo.com/142714594

The only way I can think of is to create a separate drawing of every “step” of the writing
that makes it look as if the writing is appearing when you play it back. In short, there’s
no automated effect that does this for you in the software.

maybe a worthy feature request? drawing on imagery is a super-handy effect what with the profusion/need of viral info videos.

There are a lot of ways to do this. Using cartoon software may be pushing a rock up hill.

One way is to create the background and the chalk brushes with Photoshop and record the action of applying the drawing/writing stage in real time using one of the programs used to create tutorials. You could fine tune it using video editing software.

This is the best way I know of, which is pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

1. Write out your text in full
  2. Create a separate mask layer and ‘blob in’ the areas that you want to show on each frame. Just duplicate the previous frame for each new one. It seems most effective if you have the mask reveal slower on the ends of each stroke, simulating the effect of the pen moving slower on the page.