creating text in toonboom

Did I do something wrong in posting this question l;ast week? It disappeared. I searched the forums for “text” and “font” to see if this had been asked before, but could find nothing.

I am teaching Toonboom to a high school class, and we are very surprised that there is no text creation tool. How do people create text/words in Toonboom?

Thanks, John Ranta

There are a couple of approaches, but both are outside Flash.

If you have Flash, create the text in Flash, then do Ctrl-B two times–once to break up the text into letters, then to break it into vectors. Then Export from Flash as Flash 5. Import the .swf created to Toon Boom and you’re good to go.

The other option (and I’ve done this, too) is to create a separate file with the text as a bitmap, then import and vectorize the image (.jpg, .bmp, .gif, .psd…) into your movie. Then you’ll have some coloring work to do since the import/vectorize command is strictly black and white.

That’s as good as it gets. What course are you using Toon Boom in? I teach HS English and Multmedia myself, would love to have Toon Boom here.

If you own a copy of Adobe Illustrator, you could also type your text in Illustrator, then convert the text into strokes (Type menu => create Outlines) then import it in TBS with the “import from illustrator” function (right click on a cel in the exposure sheet and select import from illustrator).

Thanks for your replies. I am familiar with the approach of creating text in an outside program and importing. My students have opted for the “write text with the pen” approach. I just wanted to make sure I had not missed something, as I was surprised that there’s not a text tool in ToonBoom.

I teach technology classes here at SHS. This one is 2D Animation - basically an introduction to animation using ToonBoom Studio and Flash MX. I’m working on Independent Study projects, in which students who have taken the animation class then develop tutorials for teachers (or local businesses).

Thanks again. JR

There are a couple of approaches, but both are outside Flash.

If you have Flash, create the text in Flash, then do Ctrl-B two times–once to break up the text into letters, then to break it into vectors. Then Export from Flash as Flash 5. Import the .swf created to Toon Boom and you’re good to go.

The other option (and I’ve done this, too) is to create a separate file with the text as a bitmap, then import and vectorize the image (.jpg, .bmp, .gif, .psd…) into your movie. Then you’ll have some coloring work to do since the import/vectorize command is strictly black and white.

That’s as good as it gets. What course are you using Toon Boom in? I teach HS English and Multmedia myself, would love to have Toon Boom here.

I asked ToonBoom about this very thing and was told to create it outside adn import it as an image.

I was also very surprised to not have the text creation as part of ToonBoom. For what I do, it is a pain since I incorporate text into a lot of my stuff.

I have asked for this feature as a wish list.