creating templates

I’m having trouble creating templates for a piece of animation that I’m working on. When I select the character’s parent tag and copy the entire sequence into the library there’s no problem. However, if I select only part of the sequence, the arms go haywire. Does anyone have any clues?

If this then works, how do I paste these part-sequences into the main sequence? Say, for example, the character is talking, and you want to repeat mannersms every so often without re-animating.

I’d appreciate any advice you have.

do you mean thing like arm/hand gestures? If so, then I think it would be easier to copy the segment you want & then paste special in the timeline. hopefully JK can correct that if its wrong, but if you have an action from say frames 100-150 that you want to duplicate from frames 400-450, I think paste special would be your friend.

If you’re talking about using templates for lip synching, I think it’s best to draw all of your mouth positions out in their own elements, one frame of each is all you need. Then just name them position 1, 2, 3 or whatever you like, & drag each element into your library. then you can do your lip synch mapping & put in each mouth position where it belongs.

Hope that helps some or at least gives you some ideas. Keep asking if it doesn’t.
Cheers

Not knowing exactly what you are doing it is difficult to be totally certain, but it sounds like you left some important keyframes behind on the uncopied part of some elements. If you are going to copy a sequence from the timeline where keyframing is involved, it is a good practice to take the transform tool and go to the first frame of the sequence you plan to copy and set a transform group set of keyframes on that first frame for every track. You just make the transform tool active and move the frame slider to the first frame of your desired sequence and on each track add a keyframe. This copies all the previously set attribute values currently in effect for that track and insures that your copied sequence is not missing earlier important keyframe values. The rule of thumb on copy and paste is always make sure the first frame of each track contains the previous keyed values, it has been initialized so to speak. Remember that each type of keyframe controls the element track until a new keyframe value of the same attribute is encountered. If you cut off the leading keyframe then the first keyframe that remains on the track controls the track all the way back to the first copied frame as well as up to the next keyframed value of that type. Oh and you should have the transform tool active when you copy the sequence and use paste special and be sure all the various keyframe attribute boxes are check to be pasted in the paste special dialog box. -JK