creating DVD from TBS

Does anybody know how to create a dvd production from TBS? If you’ve created the content …what format is best to export it as and what type of softwares are out there to burn/create the DVD after. I tried to export in the different formats provided by TBS and I find that “avi” format looks very crappy for some reason.

What are the different softwares out there that will burn the file to a standard DVD format? For DVDs whats the frame rate to use 25 or 24 fps in addition whats the standard camera size to use. Based on my preliminary research 25fps and 720 x 540 are the standards …can anybody add to this?

I have a wide-screen laptop and I notice that during playback it shows the stuff not shown when using my older monitors. Its like creating a set only to see stuff you thought was not in the shot. A bit annoying because I find if I move the camera to satisfy the wide screen …it then doesn’t suit the older monitors. Is there a way to fix this?

Ofcourse I realize all this must be sorted out first before making the first brush/pencil stroke.

are you on a pc or a mac?

on a mac it’s pretty easy: export the digital video stream (.dv), and then import it into the idvd to burn your dvd.

but i think the dvd-burning software on a pc could work in the same way, using the dv-format.

the resolution issue is more complicated, though.
i suppose you’re referring to ntsc (we use pal in europe). the problem is that digital video pixels are rectangular, and the computer graphics pixels on a monitor are square.
that’s why you see a crappy thing on your computer display when you export to the dv. but it’s ok, any dv device will display it in a fine way again.

here’s a (alas, in german language) web site with all interesting resolutions:
http://www.deranderenart.ch/1/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=26
’auflösung grafik’ means computer graphics resolution (720x540, your tbs resolution). in fact, it will then be 720x480 as an ntsc-video.
hope it helps a bit.
cheers,
rob

Thanks for the help. I’m using a PC. I tried to export in the dv format and tried to manipulate the settings, however, in all cases the picture ends up very blurry despite my efforts. Nothing near the quality of the swf format.

Well, just my way to do it:
First, I render nearly everything as single image file (Image-Sequence)
Advantage: I can stop the render at any time and start from there again
My size, I working on a Mac in PAL and use mostly 768 x 576 .
NTSC would be 720 x 540 I presume.
Then I open this Sequence in QuickTime and save (I presume you need Pro for that)
This one I import into Final Cut – do my editing – and export as
“QuickTime Movie” (still no compression applied).
This file I drag into “Toast Titanium 7” and burn to DVD.
Outcome: looks nice and crisp on Computer and TV.

I presume there is plenty of Software available to do the same on a PC.

Cheers
Nolan

on the computer display, yes, dv looks blurry.
but as soon you burn your dvd, the image will display on the tv and computer monitor finely.
rob

update:
.dv is a raw format, which has the best quality. any compressing (like qt .mov) results in a certain data loss.
and .dv looks blurry, because this is an interlaced format.
it has to be deinterlaced for the final product (like a dvd), but any of the dvd-burning tools will do this.

Thanks guys. Good to know that the DV format can be looked at as an intermediate form that will not crystalize until burned into actual DVD format. I suupose the same applies to the AVI format as well.

I have Nero on my machine, however it only deals with “bup, vop and ifo” files when buring files to a dvd format. I 've looked online and there is a plethora of choices out there.

What I need is to get my TBS files into a DVD format that will play in any average DVD player… just like what you would bring home from block-buster.

I also would like to set it up so that different scenes can be selected/by-passed etc. I suppose creating my work in scenes will help with this. But is there anybody out there that have done this already that can steer me to the right application.

Should I now look for an application that will convert the DV or AVI files into one of the fromats that Nero can work with … or should I look for a different burning application that will work with the DV/AVI files directly?

And how do I steer clear of the scams and viruses out there trying to get the right product. I trust nothing! I’ve looked at download.com and find just too may mix/match patch work software out there to choose any. Whats worse is many times the free softwares end up being better that the paid ones. And …yikes … am I screemish when it comes to forking over my credit card to some no name vendor online …thats why I could use some help here. Again I’m working with a PC format.

Maybe you would like to check some of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=977
http://www.puremotion.com/editstudio/index.htm

Cheers
Nolan

Fellows thanks a lot. I already have the MS movie maker (and didn’t even notice) on my machine. However … it appears that this app is designed to burn to CD and not dvd. In fact the word …“DVD” …does not provide a single hit when I searched the help topic. However, it still has some interesting features and may serve as a transistion app before before actually creating a DVD.

I also have NERO on my system and have actually created a DVD from it but …I have much to learn …for starters …not quite sure why a 2 minute demo actually filled a 2.47G disc for example.

When I export in QT and burn my DVD with Nero it looked perfect however.
One thing I saw was that the crappy looking output in DV and AVI still looked crappy when burned to DVD …but it may still be that I havn’t set up the process correctly yet.

One big limiting issue is … [and this I voiced my TBS developers months ago] … is that they do not have enough exporting formats! I know there is just too many out there already … so I don’t expect TBS to support them all.

But I think they need to add 3 more to their application …GIF, MPEG and WMV.

This limitation is causing some friction with what I want to do.

In the past I have tried translation software …but …in doing so …the transition was never seemless. Things either sped up or slow down after those application try to interpret TBS output.

@tiger
uncompressed digital video is a 18mb/s stream, so 2 minutes would result in a roughly 2.1 - 2.2 gb data.
you should use a compression (5:1 makes a good compromise between the quality and the size) to pack your video data.

as for the dv output to the dvd - maybe there is a check box for a ‘deinterlacing’ you missed? dv must be deinterlaced. many programs do it automatically (like idvd on a mac), other ones i don’t know.
cheers,
rob

It looks like that “Nero 7” is at least as versatile as “Toast 7”
and with “QuickTime 7 Pro” I presume you’re fairly well set up.

Have you tried “Jahshaka” yet, and see how that fits into
your production environment.

http://www.jahshaka.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=46

Cheers
Nolan

Hey! I am new to burning to DVD as well! I have a program called PowerProducer 2 Gold from CyberLink! The program is not difficult to handle! It came free with my computer and enables you to make basic DVD menus and scenes! I have not yet burned a DVD production with this program yet because I am confused as toward what DVD discs I should buy! I am pretty sure that DVD-R is the type of DVD disc I need but which brand discs do I buy and at what write speed? Another reason I have not yet burned a DVD disc yet is that I do not currently own a DVD player for my TV! There are just too many damn DVD players to choose from and it is unclear whether or not I will be able to play homemade DVD discs on them!

P.S.- As a second thought. I have a ton of CD-R discs at the moment! Could I just burn my animations as quicktime files to CD-R and load this up on my friends computers!?

Nowadays I presume nearly all available DVD-player can play
your “Homemade” DVD’s.
I am using mostly DVD-R 8x (but I presume 16x will just burn a little faster),
and personally I prefer “imation” (used them for years without any problems).

CD-R is a good choice for backup or just moving your QuickTime-Movie
to another computer.
Of course very convenient would be to have a little “Flash-Drive” –
then you have your movie available anywhere you go and can plug it
into any computer capable of QuickTime.

Cheers
Nolan

Hi Tiger,

Ive burnt video files to DVD before using Adobe Encore - I found it fairly easy to use. you can set up menu systems using adobe photoshop files and fully cutomise the interface. This would allow you to select specific scenes for playback when playing in your dvd player etc.

Im pretty sure Encore takes quicktime and avi files. The way I did it, was I rendered out a RAW avi file… no compression whatsoever. I then imported into Encore… once in Encore the program ‘Transcodes’ the video file. I guess that means it compresses it.

Anyhoo… I thought Encore was a good program. Though probably not cheap :-[

Kenneth