Creating a QUICKTIME movie in V 2.5

Hello,

I am using a MAC and V 2.5. I am in Panther. My question is, I have been trying to export an uncompressed Quicktime movie and whenever I try and do it 720x480 the program starts to exports. Quickly stops, and then nothing appears on my desktop.

Also, I had been doing it as a DV stream. Does anyone know how how sound is compressed when doing it that way? Is it compressed at all when exported as a DV stream?

Best,

Evan Jacobs

an uncompressed video is a huge data file.
- either your video export is still being performed in the background
- or your computer is being strangled by the data stream due to insufficient memory/cpu.

as far as i can remember, the dv stream is a 5:1 compression of the uncompressed hd, which is a 18 mb/s. thus the dv is a 3.6 mb/s stream (when you multiply the length of your film in seconds by 3.6 mb you can easily foresee the size of your final file).
i suppose the audio is being compressed with the same ratio, but i’m not 100% sure.
cheers,
rob

Thank you for the reply and your answer.

Here is the interesting thing…

I just completed a 78 minute feature length film that I created in TBS V 2.5 on my Mac. I edited it in Final Cut Pro.

I exported out DV streams and everything and then many months later, while I was working on my second edit of the film, I was told I probably should have done it uncompressed.

Well, needless to say I was too far along to do that and in my opinion the movie looks great when compressed to DVD.

I am just sending it off to be duplicated and I was doublechecking about the sound, although the Final Cut Pro files that I “Printed to Video” were all exported at 16 Bit 48k mhz stereo audio.

I think for person doing everything and making a very low budget animated movie by themselves… I am doing alright.

Best,

Evan Jacobs
www.anhedeniafilms.com

Also…

In the DV export settings what does the AUDIO FORMAT LOCKED checkbox mean?

Lastly, is the AUDIO in a DV stream exported from TBS 16 bit?

These are probably questions I should have asked 3 years ago before I started the project, but there’s always next time!

Best,

Evan Jacobs
www.anhedeniafilms.com

i’m pretty new to any audio issue in tbs, and i have my problems with the streamed audio in the .swf export, too (as i described it in the ‘sound’ section), so i can’t answer the ‘locked format’ check box question.

as for the sampling rates: i have 32,000, 44,100 and 48,000 in the dropdown menu to choose.
i haven’t checked either if the dropdown menu entries have anything in common with the sampling rates of the audio track you’ve imported into your animation. it still remains on my checklist, anyway.

as for the exports: it’s the last step for the animation creation that you can set as you want it to be.
don’t you have the higher audio sampling rates in your dropdown menu setting at all?
cheers,
rob

update:
there is no other audio setting for the dv exports, so i assume you don’t have any additional choice :wink:

Hey Rob,

All DV offers me is
FORMAT (I chose DV)…
Video Format (I chose NTSC)
Rate (I chose 48 khz)

I ran into some audio problems in Final Cut Pro (because I think the program has a problem with DV streams), but I was able to “patch in” sound in places and work around it.

Also, I exported all the sequences that make up my movie (12 in all), in 16 bit/48 khz/Stereo. Then I exported those to 16 bit into my DV camera. I don’t know if the audio is 48khz in my camera, and I checked out the menu and everything else.

I’m not too worried. I have given 4 movies to my duplicator that I digitized into that camera to create MiniDV masters and they have all played fine. Various results on different players but that’s too be expected. Even the majors have that problem.

Best,

Evan Jacobs
www.anhedeniafilms.com

evan,
ok, it’s a usual tbs dv-export quality.
it’s apparently ok for you, but what’s your aimed medium: a video, a tv-broadcast or maybe an another one?
cheers,
rob

Hey Rob,

My goal is video, a tv-broadcast, a theatrical broadcast or whatever else I can get.

I really like how it looks on DVD (which is the films biggest market), but I have seen it on some big screen TVs and it looks really good too.

My feeling is if I can have movies of mine played on big screen, off a VHS tape, then this should be fine.

Best,

Evan Jacobs
www.anhedeniafilms.com