Crashing

I’m using TB 3.5 on a brand new Dell Dimension E520, dual core w/ 2 gig of memory. And it’s crashing. It’s crashing!

It’s crashing when I try to save a file into which I imported drawings from the Global Library. It crashes when I try to edit the imported drawings. It crashes when I create a second instance of TB 3.5 and copy and paste the drawings.

This is a really bad situation because I can’t save any work, so I can’t even progress in the project while obsessively saving after every change. My project is stalled and I can’t go back to TB 3.0.

Maybe this has something to do with it: my windows task manager reports that my CPU is running at 50%, constantly, with TB 3.5 open and no other program running. This CPU load is constant and not connected to any activity in the program. This does not happen with TB 3.0. With TB 3.0 the CPU load spikes at around 50% upon startup then goes back to nearly zero, just like all other programs. Some subroutine or object is quite possibly running in the background on TB 3.5 (or my instance of it) causing CPU load to be continually extremely high. If this problem is endemic to all TB 3.5 releases then users have a real problem if they import their projects into 3.5 since they can’t then re-open them in 3.0, as I have done.

Hi,

What is the video card that you have on the new computer? There should not be any high demand from the software but if you ask out something (openGL) that is not handled properly by the card (ATI card) your computer might be trying to compensate and run out of memory at some point. In any case, if you have an ATI card make sure to go change the renderer to Direct3D in the Display tab of the Preferences. This should solve the problem.

Let us know if you still have problems.

Best regards,

Ugo

My card is an NVIDIA GeoForce 7300 LE, w/ 512 MB RAM, nv4_disp.dll is the driver, version 6.14.10.8268.

But, I can report that I read this board and, as a result, tried disabling the OpenGL options. That worked. The 50% CPU load went away. It was still crashing when I tried to save a project after copying and pasting from a global template. But I narrowed that down, too. It turns out it was a small piece of text on a colored box that was crashing the program during save. I’ve re-made the sign and everything is okay.

Thanks so much for the help. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this fix will h old because I’m really going to crank out some toons.

Hi,

If the problem persist it might also be a good idea to lower some of the sliders (texture and display/memory usage). This might also help. Also, it might only be caused by the fact that your card has a hard time with the anti aliasing. If it is the case simply unchecking the OpenGL Full Scene Anti-aliasing would solve the problem (nvidia should be working good with OpenGL as renderer but some advanced feature might be too demanding for your card).

In any case let us know if we can be of further help.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks so much for the help. It’s fixed now. I’ve got the OpenGL turned off. I’m so happy it’s working because I dig this program. Can’t wait to start showing off the work.