Converting .png to vector, computer stop and restart

Hello.
When I import a .png image in Toon Boom Studio 5 (Windows XP SP3, and then convert the image to vector, the computer stops working and restarts. I need help to know how resolve this issue. I need change any TBS display preferences?, or is a video card problem? The motherboard is Intel 945GNT-3Mb Ram with video card on board, and I have asigned a maximum memory usage possible with de Open GL utility (128Mb), but the problem persists. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

What is the resolution of the image you are trying to import?

Also, are you getting the same behavior when you import in a blank project?

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo, thanks for your quick assistance.
The png image resolution is 684x728px-RGB color (1,42M)
24x23cm-72dpi, and consists in a caracter with transparent background around it, image was imported in mode fit to camera view.
The project setting: 720 x 576 px (DV1-Pal)
I had experimented in a blank project with the same behavior when I convert image to vector and manipulate it to cut and copy-paste in new elements.
If I need to get a video graphic card, thinks you that the Nvidia Geforce 8400GS, it´s ok for TBS 5? If not this, what would you recommend? Thanks again Ugo. Yoryo.

Hi,

For video card if you really plan on upgrading go for an 8600 has you will get much better performances with such a card.

As for the image itself, it may have something to do with the image file. Have you been able to import different image files in the past? Did you try converting that image file to another format yet to see if you get better results?

Best regards,

Ugo

In fact, in the general post:¨scrolling the background¨I had suggested import images and convert them to vector to create a longest background image and making a copy one after other of these vectorized images in the same drawing element. No were problems with this process. The imported images were .jpg and worked fine (in these images had not transparencies) and was imported with: fit to camera view disabled. Psd with transparency had caused the same problem that png when I proceed to convert to vector and manipulate these images. The vectorization process with transparencies is not being supported by some reason in this computer. Greetings. Yoryo

Hi,

Have you tried doing the import on a different machine? Also would it be possible to let us know your machine specs?

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo.
I only had tried the some import in a mac G4-733 Mhz-1 Gb Ram memory - MacOS 10.4, with a copy of my TBS 4.5 without problems in this issue. TBS runs slowly because this perfil is not the best in performance. TBS 5 is running in a PC-windows XP SP3 -Pentium 4 processor-Intel 945GNT motherboard-3Gb Ram memory- video card on board with open GL capabilities.,and only in this computer because the software was activated and licensed for this IP number.
A question Ugo, TBS 5 runs on windows 7? The best performance is done on XP or windows 7? Greetings. Yoryo

Hi,

For the moment you should stick with Windows XP as we are still under testing for Windows 7. Once it is officially released we will have a better idea of how it goes on it.

Now I am wondering if you are getting the same issue on both 4.5 and 5.0 with the same images.

Regards,

Ugo

Yes, for the PC the result was the same for 4.5 and 5.0, this was the first verification that I had made to investigate the issue. What you think about?

On the other hand, is very important your clarification about the compatibility of TBS with Windows 7 so I’ll stay on XP until TBS has been checked in this system. Thanks again. Regards. Yoryo.

Hi,

Would it be possible to get a sample of the images you are trying to import? Since you are getting the same behavior in both of the version with different OS it may actually be something related with the image format.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo. I send the URL of a recent created blog where you will find and download the images that I’ve been trying to import and vectorize. But I want to clarify that the behavior in the Mac G4, OS 10.4 was correct, only in the PC - OS Windows XP has happened previously discussed issue.
I can´t send you the .tga bitmap and .tbd drawings because the formats has not been recognized by the blogger image charger.
Best Regards. Yoryo.
http://yoryotoons.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Are you vectorizing in black and white or colour vectorizing. So far on my XP I didn’t get the issue though there might be something I overlooked.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi.
The vectorization was made in black and white and then painted in photoshop; the problem was presented in both cases. The color was RGB color mode. May be that your hardware are most powerfull in video response? Regards. Yoryo.

Hi,

If the thing was black and white you should import the black and white image and paint it inside of Toon Boom Studio. Painted zone don’t come in too well unless you vectorize as texture which will be somewhat heavy if you import a lot of images.

You may also want to clean up the artwork in Photoshop before you import it inside of Toon Boom Studio to avoid having dirt in the drawing that will need to get vectorize.

Finally, playing around with the threshold may also simplify the shape that is import which should help with the file size.

Best regards,

Ugo

Ok Ugo,
I’ll get to see that result producing .png or .psd original color but not as rough art, I´ll make final art quality to avoid extra nodes in the vectorization and improve video output quality, perhaps with a new video card.
The idea is to rescue the pen stroke and a colorized with shades photoshop mode, and match that with the ability of TBS to cut and paint in enclosed areas of vector mode. Thank you very much for the follow-up to this issue and I´ll report back on developments. There is a lot to investigate.
Best Regards.
Yoryo.

Conclusion:
I have installed a video card 9500GT Nvidia Geforce and the issue was solved.
Important: when you convert images with transparent areas to vector, check the amount of nodes in the orange border line. If the line has many nodes, select it with the contour editor and smooth with the smooth tool several times, and delete any scanned dirt. This procedure decrease the amount of memory usage. I hope this help serves if would present the problem. Yoryo