Continuing in a New Scene / Maintaining Drawings

Hi,

I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I begin a new scene, continuing from where I left off? When there are many characters and elements, do I have to bring in each and every one of them as a template from my library, and then adjust them all again in camera view (i.e. scale, etc.) to match their final position in the last frame of the previous scene? Or do I have to drag and copy just the last frame of all the elements (top to bottom in the timeline) and paste these in a corresponding number of new elements in a new scene?

2) Currently, the way I’m working is to bring in a template that has, for example let’s say 18 drawings in it. In the timeline, I’ll begin the scene from the 20th frame, so that when I select cells, they don’t disappear from the original 18 drawings. I found that if I start changing cells with the cell tab from frame 1, the original cell (i.e drawing) is replaced and disappears completely. I don’t think I am doing this correctly with the “start from 20th frame approach”, because different templates have different numbers of drawings in them and if I bring a longer one in later, I have to push back the start frame (which means pushing back all the drawings and images, sound files, etc.). What is the correct way to do this? (i.e. select cells with the slider, without completely deleting the original drawing and making it no longer available for selection in subsequent frames?)

Kind of cumbersomely-worded questions, I know, but I hope someone understands and can offer an easy-to-follow explanation. Perhaps the solution has something to do with the X-sheet, the use of which I am still not completely sure about, despite having read some rather lengthy and detailed explanations on it (difference between timeline and X-sheet).

Thanks!

DanB.

I usually just copy the last frame in each timeline element into the new scene and set the new scene up the same way, but there might be an easier way. You shouldn’t have to redo the whole scene though if you copy the last keyframe on the peg elements and such.

I’m a mumble mouth, but I want to assist with the cell-swap tab situation. I just recently found out the functionality of the cell-swap tab and it made manual lip syncing a streamline process as opposed to a ‘copy and paste’ nightmare.

Is it that you’re not aware of how to use the cell-swap tab properly or is it that you do and the real problem is drawings and cells disappearing from the cell slider? If it’s the latter (and I’m not sure if this applies), do you have the drawings in your local library? The reason I say that is because I just used the cell swap for an hour straight with no problems, but just for comparison’s, I had all drawings saved to my local project library.

For some reason I was not notified that someone had responded to my questions. I almost forgot about them. Thanks for the replies.

Haven’t used Toon Boom for a while, but rereading my questions, I see the first one I have already figured out. Copying the last frame top to bottom in the time line and pasting it at the start of a new scene works (if I remember correctly).

As for the cell-swap tab, I don’t think I figured that one out. I’m referring to the little screen bottom right (in default workspace) that lets you select which drawing (cell) you want with the slider. If I have 20 different drawings all lined up in the timeline (20 different positions of the same character) that would comprise frames 1 to 20 in the scene, correct? But let’s say after adding other characters, backgrounds, etc. (all starting at frame one), I want to rearrange the drawings of the first character. So let’s say that now he’s doing the splits in frame five and in frame 12 he’s touching his toes. But I want him to touch his toes in frame five now as well. So I select frame five in the timeline and move the slider in the cell-select tab until I have the toe-touching drawing appear in the little window bottom right. Now in frame five he’s touching his toes, just as he is in frame 12. Ok? But wait!! Now there is no more drawing (cell) of the character doing the splits. The original drawing number five has disappeared. Obviously I expect it to disappear from the timeline, but it has also disappeared from the cell-select window. I can no longer find it with the slider.

This was/is the problem I was/am having. I’m pretty sure I have the drawings saved as templates in the local folder, or maybe it’s the global. I will try to confirm that. I seem to recall another problem of being unable to save templates to the local folder (no little green plus mark would appear, unless over the global folder). Anyway, the cell select slider seems to refer to the cells in the timeline rather than anything in the folders. Once a cell/drawing disappears from the timeline, it’s gone from the cell-selector as well.

This is why I was leaving all the drawings at the start of the timeline, and starting my scene farther along. Kind of an ad hoc measure, which works but becomes cumbersome once other elements are added which have more drawings in their templates (i.e. necessitating more space at the start of the scene).

Cheers.

DanB.

The Cells window will show you all of the cells contained in a particular element.

If you open the Library window, and expand Scene 1 (in the left pane of the library window) you will see a list of all the elements in scene one. If you click on one of those elements, all of the cells in that element will be listed in the right pane of the library window.

If you drag one of the elements onto the timeline and select it, the Cells window will now allow you to choose which cell you want to appear at each frame on that element.

:slight_smile:

You sir…

are correct sir! And so was the other poster who told me about
the local library. Once I got the element in there and not just
in the timeline everything was fine. I was saving all the
templates in the global library before, and that was the problem.

Much obliged for the help!

DanB.