Common Tablets problems

Hi everyone,

Here are some common issues that are related to the use of tablet and the list of the tablet supported on the current version of Toon Boom Studio.

Problem due to the use of 2 tablets:
Link to the Knowledgebase

Loss of pressure sensitivity, offset in the pen and most of Wacom tablet problems:
Link to the Knowledgebase

If the following solutions did not solve your problem make sure to send a message and we will work our best to solve your problem as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Ugo

good discussion!

does the cheaper graphire tablet have pressure sensitivity

Hi Josiah,

All of the Graphire tablet support pressure sensitivity. The price is relative to the size of the tablet (or if it is wireless) but all the features are the same for a same generation of Graphire. As far as I know the Graphire always were pressure sensitive so an older model of the Graphire should have that feature as well.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo, when can we expect the patch? I know I’ve asked before, but it does make the new version somewhat useless when the process involves a cintiq or other wacom tablet with compatability issues. I can find no reference on the site for the release date or any other mention of the patch for 3.5
Thanks,
Roger

Hi,

If all goes well should be by the end of next week. I can’t guarantee at 100% but everything seem to be set for the release.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo,
your link to the knowledge base only shows me me a blank page.
I have a lot of problems with with my Intuos 3 PTZ-631W in TBS.
In brush mode as well in pencil.
Tablet works properly in other applications.
Where is my problem.
Bruno.

Hi Bruno,

Sorry for the inconvenience about the Knowledge Base there are currently some difficulties with it at the moment.

For the time being the best would be to create a new topic with the description of your difficulties and we will address them in the forum.

Best regards,

Ugo

I’ve just started to use Toonboom (I have v4) and I have no pressure sensitivity with my intuos tablet (it’s OK when I test it in the control panel).

First thing I did was look at item 3 in the knowledge base you just posted (what tablet drivers are compatible) but it comes up blank. This looks like the place to start - is there another place or way to get this info.

I read about a patch - could this potentially solve my problem or is it just something for V3.5 users? I’d be happy to hang on a week or two if it means I don’t have to go unplugging and re-installing things all over the place.

Hi Bren,

Would it be possible to know if you are under Windows or Mac? By the way make sure to download the latest version of the Wacom drivers available for your Intuos.

Also, are you working with 1 single monitor or with 2 monitors and which video card do you own?

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks Ugo

I’m using Windows. I’ve just downloaded the latest version of the driver, but I’ll have to wait for some asssistance to swap drivers. Should be able to do it tomorrow.

I’m using two monitors and the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

cheers

Bren

Hi,

If you have 2 monitors make sure that you are setup in OpenGL (Edit>Preferences>Display tab>Change the Renderer from Direct3D to OpenGL). Then try to see if you get pressure on the first and then the second monitors.

Regards,

Ugo

I didn’t have that set up as you said, but changing it didn’t help with either monitor.

Hi,

In that case you might want to reset the tablet preference file. You can do so by going to the Start Menu>Programs>Wacom Tablet (or Pen Tablet)>Tablet Preference File Utility. There use the Remove all preference button (make sure Toon Boom Studio was closed) and try launching Toon Boom Studio again.

Let us know if you get any better results.

Best regards,

Ugo

I just installed the latest Wacom Driver for my tablet (4.93-3) and checked again that I had preferences in Toonboom set to OpenGL.

I still don’t have any pressure sentitivity on either monitor - although it’s OK in Photoshop.

In the Wacom tablet programme I couldn’t find anything that looked like a Tablet Preference file Utility, but I reckoned that if I had just loaded a new driver all the preferences would have been reset anyway.

Let’s make sure I’m not doing anything daft in Toonboom (I used to support software years ago - I know what the naive user is capable of :)). I am drawing with the BRUSH with pen settings 5 20 2 which should enable me to see width variations dependant on stylus pressure.

Hi,

First you are using the correct tool an settings. Now as for the preferences the fact of installing the new version is not clearing it and most of the time this kind of issue is related to the fact something we use from was corrupted in the preference file.

As for the application to clear the tablet preference it is not actually in the drivers where you input your settings but in a application (usually beside it in the start menu) which is used to clear the preference file.

By the way did you try with only 1 monitor so far (I just want to make sure this is working). Something else that was noticed in the past month is that the order in which the monitors are plugged sometime affect the pressure response in Toon Boom Studio so you might want to invert the wiring of your 2 monitors and see if this is of any help.

Regards,

Ugo

Yo - Success! After a fashion ;D

I have pen sensitivity but I’ve mangled my system so that I only have one monitor working and I don’t know how to bring back the other. Now I know I have everything else OK I’m sure I’ll be able to sort this out (and still retain pen sensitivity) when my very able PC expert returns.

Thanks for timely and helpful advice Udo.

Cheers

Bren

Hi,

Just a little something, if it works with 1 single monitor try to setup your dual monitor to Horizontal span instead of dual view (basically stretch desktop instead of dual desktop). This sometimes help in those situations.

Regards,

Ugo

Yep, horizontal span was what I needed, thanks.

I can work like this but it isn’t ideal as I have to use a lesser resolution on my main monitor and I have to reset the displays when I’m finished with Toonboom and want to go back to doing other things. There are various reasons to do with the quality of each monitor and where I want them positioned.

Might there be a patch coming to alleviate this problem? If there isn’t I might play some more with my options on organising my workspace - I’d rather not though.

cheers

Bren

Hi Bren,

This may pretty much depend on your video card but the issue you have has been encountered before. I have managed to have the software run with dual screen setup without any issues on my machine but sometime different hardware may need different setup so I can’t really say this is something to fix but more of an adaptation for your current setup.

You may want to play around with the display settings inside of Toon Boom Studio to see if you can manage to get your pressure on both monitor properly. Also make sure you have downloaded the latest versions of your video card and Wacom drivers.

Regards,

Ugo