Combining Movies

I was wondering if there was a way to combine movies?

Currently I have an intro and a project. Want to combine the intro with the project. Is there a way to do this other than importing it into the same movie?

What is the longest feasible scene length to use? At what point does it get too long to practically export?

You can use the scene manager in TBS to string your scenes together.
Note that there is no limit on the scene length however you should monitor what your computer can handle as once the project data becomes to heavy it can overload your system and crash the software.

If you intend to do heavier scenes, you can string your project files together in a post-editing software or move up to Animate for new projects.

Hi,

As mentioned in this other thread, you can also store your intro by putting it in your library to reuse it for multiple episodes

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/toonBoomStudio/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=5031

Yes yes I understand that I can store it in the library, the problem is that I will need to take it out of the library and move it into a scene to create and export the final project, which is getting rather large and cumbersome for my older computer.

What does Animate do differently than Studio does as far as exporting?

If I were to upgrade my computer to better handle these types of larger files, what do you think is most important to update.
a. RAM?
b. Processor?
c. Video Card?
d. Something else? (please elaborate.)

I haven’t tried Animate yet, but it has the same requirements than TBS. If your old computer has issues with TBS it might not be much better running Animate.

As Debbie mentionned, combining files in a post editing software might be a better solution. Even windows movie maker or iMovie can do the trick.

For better advices about upgrading, what are your current specs?

Hmmm… that is kind of funny it’s been so long since I have done anything with that machine I don’t really remember the specs. I am currently at work.

It is about 4 years old. One of the first Dell Quad Core computers on the market at the time. I beleive it is lie 2.3 Quadcore Processor 2 gig RAM, and a 16 meg/gig Cache nVidia Video card. Does that sound right?

At the time it was about one of the most powerful machines you could get without building one yourself or paying through the nose. Starting to get old now.

It’s not performance issues per say. It’s compiling/exporting times of the actual finished product that I am concerned about.

I have about 5 scenes currently. I am using vectorized cutout characters and I am seeing export times of 5 minutes. Looking at nearly 99 Scenes in the finished product.

What would Windows Movie Maker or iMovie do? Would I simply save the project in smaller bites then combine them in the software you mentioned?

If you consider 5 minutes of rendering time per scene long, don’t fret it’s perfectly okay. My computer needs almost 1h to render 12 HD scenes, and they are fairly simple ones. Rendering is a time consuming task. Professionnal studios actually have rendering servers, dedicated workstations or use render farms.

To speed things up you could reduce frame rate and resolution if you’re exporting for the web.

To cut down on rendering time, sequences you are reusing such as the intro and closing credits can be rendered once, then stitched in Window Movie Maker (or avid or premiere or any other similar software). Also, rendering scenes instead of a large project helps if your render crashes or you need to fix a scene, you don’t have to render the whole thing again, just what needs to be done.

Animate has multi-tasking render options, you should look into that for such a large project.

As for upgrading I’d say ram probably would be better, especially with such large projects.