combining 2d with real streaming video ?

hi
i want to combine my 2d animation with real media , let say i have a media file in *.mov or *.avi format and i want to place this video media file as a background of my 2d animation , what are different method for doing this job , do i need to import all video file’s sequence image in my studio/solo programme or is there another method like putting blue background of my animation and then do rest job in 3rd party tool like adobe premier , is it possible?

if you need an exact rotoscoping of shapes or exact positions of your animation on a real video then i presume the image sequence underneath the drawing layer would be your choice.

you can export into image sequences a.o. from quicktime pro.
cheers,
rob

i got another idea , make my background green color and use green key in adobe premier to filter it .

it depends on what exactly you want to achieve. if you’re drawing shapes or characters on exact positions, referring strongly to the real video in the background, you probably would have to rotoscope. if you are adding effects or arbitrary shapes, you can do them in any nle tool.

what is your project, can you spill some words about it?
cheers,
rob

hi Gester , check this http://bunnylove.arkhe.co.hu/
in this clip u will find real video as it has been played on a projector and i also love the affect like white rays coming out of real media presentation .

no i want to move characters all over the screen and want this kind of video clip behind my characters , btw what is rotoscope?

hi awais,
ok, it’s the second case from my last posting. so you can really try with a transparent layer.

what is rotoscoping? i don’t like halfpedia, but it’s pretty good as a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

a good example of this trechnique is richard linklater’s feature film ‘a wakin’ life’, where he hired people to draw and paint each and every frame of the real video footage into a new animated film.
a horrible idea.
cheers,
rob

sorry what do mean by transparent layer , u mean i should use green color or either blue color layer for this kind of production , right !

i mean a transparent layer.
look, when you put some shapes regardless of what’s going on in the real video you don’t really need a colour layer to put your characters onto.
you don’t need to place them in exact position to interact with the video characters, you need only to put them there (i refer to the music video link you posted).
that’s why i asked you to describe your project.

in such case i think a transparent layer would be enough for you. or even less than that: because all nle tools have many layers you could compose your shapes in any export format situation, even with live video put directly into avid, adobe premiere or the likes of.
cheers,
rob

thanks rob
sorry botherin u again for another stupid question ;D

how can i make a transparent layer ? line art with without color art ?

Im not sure as Ive never done it, but I think you just need to make a big square that covers your entire layer, then paint it, but make sure to set the alpha to 0 so that it is completely transparent. That said, I might be completely wrong, so maybe best to wait for some better confirmation.

a transparent layer (i.e. an alpha channel) is a feature of an image format. usually high quality images are stored in 24 bits (8 bits for each color: red, green and blue) and, if a format is a 32-bit one, 8 bits remain for the transparency.
8 bits are 2 to the power of 8 (256 shades of a hue).

some image formats support an alpha, some not. an alpha is a possibility to store 8 bits of an image additional to the own 24 bits. there are also other bit numbers for image colour tables and alpha, like, say, a 1-bit alpha.
many software tools allow exporting into formats which support alpha, like .png, but one must check the exports and software specs exactly, because some exports into alpha-friendly formats don’t provide this feature.

the alpha export is being usually indicated in the export options. in tbs it’s a millions of colors ‘+’ (plus being an additional alpha).
cheers,
rob

thanks for reply :slight_smile: