Colour-override nodes are breaking

Hello, the show I’m working on is currently plagued by an issue concerning colour-overrides. Our animation team created colour-override nodes to change a couple of colors throughout the entire episode. They saved these nodes to the Harmony library and imported them to all the shots that needed the color adjustment. Only for these nodes to break as soon as the shots were handed off to the comp team / export team.

What’s happening is the colors in the node are crossed out, even though the colors exist in the scene in the palette library. They worked on the computers of the individuals who added the nodes, but as soon as they hand the shot to somebody else, they break.

One of the animators discovered that the colour-override nodes were actually deriving colors from other shots that were on the animators’ computers. Which explains why they worked for the animators, but not for anyone else, who didn’t have whatever files the colour-overrides were deriving from. I find this completely and utterly unacceptable.

So my question is, is there a way to force color overrides to only derive from the shots they’re in? Or is there a way to automatically fix them if they’re broken? This issue is a huge waste of time for our team, and I’m grateful for any insight anyone can offer to prevent this from happening again.

Hi,

It’s exactly as you describe.
Colour Fades and Colour Overrides store paths of palettes pointing to the directory of the file in which the Colour Fade/Colour Override was applied or re-applied.

A workaround could be that your comp team/export team would copy the files the colour-overrides were created in on their computers.

I had made a feature request regarding this issue here:
https://forums.toonboom.com/t/colour-fades-update-override-palette-paths/20055

Thank you for your response! I spent a long time trying to find any documentation of this issue and found next to nothing.

Do you think this workaround would work: Tell the animation team to create all colour-override nodes from scratch in each file, no saving those to the Harmony library, and tell everyone who’s using their files to update the folder name / xstage name instead of “save as”?

It’s really a shame these break so easily, it would be a really useful node if it worked as expected.

It’s worth trying. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, if you have a server and the path to it is identical for every workstation of your studio (same disk letter and name) you could try creating a file on the server that just contains the Colour-Override and creating a template from this (hoping that the template’s node will still point to the file on the server).
This template could be used by the animators instead of the one they created and stored locally in their computer’s Harmony library.

Ah, unfortunately we don’t have a harmony server, just using standalone. But I’ll try telling the animation team to create color overrides from scratch for each shot and see if that resolves the issue. I’ll try to remember to report back here with the results.

Quick update: I’ve just spoken to the team leads about this issue - our director suggested it might be an issue that happens because of scene palettes - she said she’s had a lot of issues when using scene palettes instead of element palettes.

This would explain why I’ve never had this issue happen before, even though I’ve worked on shows that used a lot of colour-overrides.

Not sure if this is the case, but it’s worth noting and looking into IMO.

I’ll keep posting updates on this thread if any come up.

No need for a Harmony server license.
What I mean could be done with any server the animators’ computers can acces to.
Your team(s) could have a shared library on the studio’s server even when using Harmony in standalone mode.

Interresting!
Yes, it would be great if you could poste if this resolved your problem. :slight_smile: