'Clipping' a highlight to a moving object/character?

Hello, I wonder if some of you great animators can help me out, I am new to Animate 2 and I really like it, soon will be upgrading to animate pro to get all the features and effects, but first I need to finish a project!
Right, I have a scene with four characters already animated using IK. They are standing on a scene in a complete darkness and there is a light source coming from the right. The characters have a highlight from that light source. I’ve managed to do a highlight effect on one frame, the question is how do I ‘clip’ this highlight to the character so it moves together with the character throughout the scene? Is it possible? I hope it is…

You can animate the highlight matte’s.

Are you using a single one for the whole character or one for each body part?

If you just have a single matte, it probably wouldn’t be too bad to animate to do what you want.

Hi Raider, nice tutorials you have created, thanks for sharing.

I started with a single highlight for the whole body, but if it is better to use one for each body part I’ll redraw.
Could you be so kind and explain or give a link to a topic/video which explains how to animate the highlight matte’s and definition of matte in Animate.

Thank you
Vadim
PS Upgraded to PRO wohooo

i actually have a tutorial on the basics of highlight/tone so you can find that in my youtube channel.

A matte ( I just call it a mask, habbit from photoshop ) is the drawing you use to create the highlight. Those drawings can be animated just like any drawing. I give a quick example of this in the tutorial.

If you have a light source and you want the highlight to only appear on the part in the sun for example then having one large drawing for the character would be the easyest way.

However if you are just using it to make your character look better/part of your style, i prefer each part with their own because then the highlight moves with the body part.

edit:

Actually rereading your original post i realised you just want the highlight to move with the character? In with case attach to to the peg of the character.

Thank you for the reply
“However if you are just using it to make your character look better/part of your style, i prefer each part with their own because then the highlight moves with the body part.” - Yes that’s the way to do it then, as I am using a peg in this particular scene, only for the camera.

Nex time I’ll design a character already with the highlights in order to save time…

Thanks a lot
Vadim