Cleaning Up Duplicate Cells

Greetings,

I’ll explain the situation before the question, because I’m not sure how to word it:

I was using the cell-swap tab today and I noticed in a couple of elements, the cell slider had twice the cells that it should have. For this example, it was approximately 5 different drawings for eye gestures. In the slider, however, there were 10, where as each of the five had one duplicate.

My question is, how are the drawings dictated in how they’re contained within the elements and how would someone manage or clean up such duplicate drawings, or even drawings they wish to discard completely from the project?

Thanks.

Open the library panel and in the list of catalogs, the first listed catalog is called “Animation”. Click on the + sign next to the catalog name and it expands it to reveal the sub-catalogs.

For your current project you should see one sub-catalog for each scene. “Scene-1”, “Scene-2” …and so on. Click on the + sign next to the scene catalog name and it expands it to reveal the sub-catalogs of the scene which are its elements.

Find the element name sub-catalog for the element you want to clean up. When you select that element catalog you will see all the templates which it contains in the display pane. Each template in an element is actually a cell (drawing). So every cell in an element whether it is used on the timeline/exposure sheet or not will be visible as a template in the element’s catalog.

If you have unwanted cells or duplicate cells that you want to get rid of all you need to do is select the unwanted cell in the display pane of the library catalog, right click on the selected cell, and select “Delete Drawing” from the context menu. That will get rid of that unwanted cell.

Here is a useful tip: In the display pane of the library catalog you can right click and select “View”> “Thumbnails” and each cell will be displayed as a thumbnail instead of just being listed by name. -JK

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I just started utilizing the library and cell-swap tabs as they’re supposed to be used and I’ve really begun to appreciate how much these features help in organization and flow. Before, everything planned to be used in the scene was splayed across the timeline in an all-out war. A “search, find, copy-and-paste” nightmare, if you will.

Even still, I was aware that–as you said–all of the cells, used or not, remain in the project catalog. I just didn’t mind or care about the lost ones until I got more organized.

Thanks again.