Changing Focus on TBS4

Hi there!
I want to know if there´s some tool in TBS4 that let me create some out of focus effect in camera without having to render the layers separetly and change the focus in and out on After Effects. Call it blur or feather effect, don´t know.
Thanx in advance.

Check"gonzor666" on YouTube and leave coments on my animations!

Hi,

There is no actual blur effect inside Toon Boom Studio yet. You could use the feather edge tool if you want to set things out of focus for a constant period of time. The way this feature works is that you need to select the element you want to apply the “blur” on and go to Tool>Feather Edges.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanx!
It´s not the best solution, but it does the trick. I´ll try something now to get over the “constant period of time” thing. I think I´ll need to make different vectorizations of the BGs or OLs and paint them the same way, to put the feather effect with different values to them to simulate the change of focus.

Check “gonzor666” on YouTube and leave comments!!!

There’s no feather edge tool in Toon Boom 3.0. And, I don’t think that this would solve my problem. I’m asking: what would cause the edges to loose smoothness after I burn the dvd when the edges look great on my production monitor, which is a TV before encoding?

Hi,

If the animation looks good on your computer but not on your TV monitor this probably has something to do with the DvD authoring software you are using. There might be a compression done at that level that degrades your animation so you could always export with no compression from Studio to avoid stacking some compression.

Regards,

Ugo

Ugo,

I don’t understand this. Export with no compression…?

The other sequences from ToonBoom look fine on the dvd burned disc. It’s just this one. What I’ve just done is changed the color of the woman’s jumpsuit to see if that makes any difference. If I use gaussian blur or any other it softens the figure too much.

Hi,

Be aware that some colors are actually out of the reach of TV monitor spectrum which will make them flicker on screen.

Regards,

Ugo

Yes, I’m aware of that and I did change the color of the figure’s jumpsuit from pink to brown, but I’m still getting some flicker on the edges.

I guess my concern is how to make sure that the Toon Boom animations are going to be flicker free when I burn to dvd?

Hi,

Else then color control, making sure you have an appropriate frame rate and having as many in-between as you can there is not much that can be controlled from Toon Boom Studio. Rest would need to be done in an editing suite to do field render (render of field A and B separately for TV), pulldown and such. Outputting for TV broadcast usually requires lot of test and research to make sure the whole series is compliant to the medium.

Best regards,

Ugo

making sure you have an appropriate frame rate…

What do you mean here?

Field rendering: lower field first for dv I assume, or auto, that’s what I usually use. And, it’s not just for TV because my movies have been shown at theaters and on walls, at galleries on computer screens, so they have to look good for all formats.

If Toon Boom is not made to work in a professional setting…well, I thought it was and there should be specs about output. I have done many tests and it seems to me that it would be helpful if you at tech support had output info for your customers.

Hi,

Appropriate frame rate would be either 25 fps for PAL and 29.97 fps for NTSC. This being said for NTSC standard animation wise would be to animate at 24 fps and do a 3/2 pulldown once you get to the editing software. Other then that you could animate at 30 fps but timing is somewhat hard to do with an odd number.

Field rendering is usually used for TV but it can also help with strobing issue when elements move across screen fast.

Studio can be used in a professional environment though Studio is not a post production software. Standard way to output is either in image sequence or movie without compression that would be processed afterward in an editing or post production suite to be put back together with effects and such to be exported for the final medium.

Regards,

Ugo