Changing camera angles in 2D

It would seem to me that one area that Toon Boom and Flash would fail, using their animation tools, is when you want to show other angles of something… for example, suppose you have a street with moving people and cars. Each one of these could be a separate element with its own motion. But if you were to raise the POV, as if looking from a hot air balloon as it rises into the sky, or the POV of a flying superhero, is there any way to accomplish this without traditionally drawing the entire scene, frame by frame, from the different and changing angles?

I am an animation newbie and it seems like the 2D toolsets in TB and Flash are limiting compared to what you’d see in something like Looney Tunes or other cartoons.

Just like to get some input about techniques that are available in these programs for applications like these two scene instances suggested above.

for a scene like you described, yes you would probably have to draw it out frame by frame. TBS does not have any mophing abiilities & that is what you would need. Solo has it, & that is a big part of the price difference between studio & solo. You have to realize the astronomical # of equations that go into morphing. You are asking the program to take a 2d image & create lines & shapes that you haven’t drawn yet. It is pretty advanced feature, I don’t know any other programs that have it by name, but I’m sure they exist. You might want to search around if youre not looking ot invest in solo.

Very interesting… can anyone testify as to how effective it is in Solo? I can’t imagine a computer effectively pulling that off and look realistic!

I really don’t know much about it as I’m very new to animation myself, but you could check on the Solo forums, they will give you more answers about the morphing features than you will find here. I do know several people use both studio and solo, they may be able to illustrate the differences more clearly, but having never used it myself thats about all I can tell ya.

Two points: First anything you have ever seen in a Looney Tunes cartoon of the 30’s -70’s can be done in Toon Boom Studio if you have the skill in animation production and want to do the work. The question is not capability of software but rather the time and resources of the cartoon maker.

Second: The type of shots you described are easier to create today then they were 30 or 40 years ago. Most of the work can be done in 3D software and the background construction and camera work can be done in 3D and then rendered to image sequences that can be imported into TBS. It is not a trivial exercise and would take considerable 3D modeling skill but it is doable.

The problem is that complex camera shots are common in movies and on TV and many people assume that these sort of shots can be animated easily. Unfortunately that is not the case and there is no software even 3D software that makes this easy, possible , yes, easy, no. -JK

Indeed. This was one of the first things I attempted & quickly realized was way more than I could handle. On top of that, while difficult camera work may look cool, more often than not it isn’t necessary. A perfect example of a quality toon that is kept very simple is the Arj & Poopy series. Check them out & you will find excellent toons that make good use of very simple backgrounds & camera moves.

Basically, camera moves like what you want are achievable as JK said, but often are more work than they might be worth. Content is much more important, and Arj & Poopy are a perfect illustration. Check them out & I can guarantee you won’t be left longing for an insanely hard camera shot. You’ll just be enjoying a well-made product.

I don’t mean to over simplify this …but isn’t this attempt one of the fundamental limitations of 2D?

I can draw a character, building…etc …in 2D from a side, front or angled perspective. But no matter what feature a 2D software has to offer, to see the top of that character’s head or the top of the building I have to re-draw them at some point.

I experimented with 3D for a while (animation master) and this was one of the great advantage. Once you create a character you never have to worry about angles …since in 3D thats like have a computerized doll or puppet.

One of the things I want to do with TBS however …is to create the background scenes outside of TBS with a 3D software…and import it.
Then, when I change angles in a scene I can quickly import the angled drawing. For example lets say you had a swivel chair spinning around…if I create it in 3d I can easily import the different angles need in TBS.

The trick is …I just don’t have the time yet to really learn a 3D software.
Every time I encounter a need to do this, I try for a while but I end up quiting, because either the 3D software is problematic …or I have problems importing …so I just redraw it in 2D rather than spend the time.

Maybe someday i’ll make the investment.

Back in April some one asked if Toon Boom can Morphe
I thought that as a program I bought from Serif that is called morphing could transform from one image to another in JPG filing in the gapes between to pictiors or drowings this could do the job. It can also morphe into several formats.

Sorry, I haven’t tried it to date, I have too much on my plate at the moment.

If anyone has done this please tell us.

Wena Parry, South Wales, UK

i think its impossible to do this kind of scene in any 2d tool without taking traditional approach.but i think there some tricks to do this kind of animation , few months back i view some animation clips @ Moho forum (which is now Anime studio ) a dancing little character was running in only one direction but the camera movement is revolving around that character and every thing was rotating except the view of character and giving u impact of any 3d animation …i hvn’t used anime studio so far may be they hv adopted different approach of camera movement …
another thing i want to mention here the free view of toon boom solo and i think it can revolutionize the 2d world if developers put some more efforts in developing next version of solo .

Morphing between camera angles might be too much to ask for. It makes more sense to do 3D elements and make them look like your 2D work. You’ll see a good integration of 3D and 2D on Futurama. Certain buildings, spaceships, even Bender are done with 3D sometimes depending on their actions or the camera angle.

The Simpsons Movie trailer with Homer driving a crane – the crane is done in 3D for the “wow” shot. Ironic, given that the message of the trailer is that the movie is all 2D.

Simpsons trailer on Youtube

Here’s a low-tech example of cheating 3D in 2D animation. I want the camera to swivel, so I pan a background with two sets of vanishing points. Not as good as it could be, but it’s my first attempt at a shot like this.

Toon Boom street shot (rough)

@maddogmike
i hv checked your clip , its looking great , i think we hv to depend on drawing skills instead of tool , becoz in scenes like u hv created consists of that particular background drawing element which is actually producing this effect.

I would still be needing this despite using the best cameras for photography, learning the tool for image editing is absolutely necessary.