Can't open the tutorial files on 4.5...

I’m new to ToonBoom. In fact, I just got it yesterday. I checked out the site and saw there were free tutorials that I could download to teach me the basics of the software. I downloaded it and the instructions, but whenever I try to open the TBP files, it never works. It just says “Drawing_Rough.tbp is not a supported file”. How can I fix this? Am I doing anything wrong?

I posted this last week. Why haven’t I gotten any help?

I too have posted the same question, with no reply. It appears to me that the tut files (e-learning) on this site are only good if you have the latest version (TBS5). I’ll probably get thrown off the board here, but I would say this is ingenious if true. There needs to be some backward compatibility for this stuff, as I have purchased tutorials that reference files on this site for use, and you can’t even open them. Perhaps it’s a design flaw in TBS, where they need to have a system like with MS Office, where if they are changing the format of the file each release, there is a compatibility mode built in to the software that allows you to at least open/save files.

This one leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth…
jigs
>:(

Please make sure, that you run Toon Boom Studio from an Administrator Account…
Right click the “Drawing_Rough.tbp” file / Get Info…
Make sure, your Privilege is set to Read & Write…
Try open the file again…

Regards
Nolan

Thx Nolan, I did that but still get:
{filename}.tbd is not a supported version
This is perhaps a little different then the Op problem…dunno. But I really need to get into these tuts! thx again.

Well, this sounds fairly strange…
Make sure, that you didn’t move, by any chance, the tbp file out of the project folder…?

Otherwise, you might consider and contact directly Toon Boom Tech-Support:
techsupport@toonboomstudio.com.

Regards
Nolan

Thx Nolan again. Can u confirm (or deny) that the tut files on the site CAN be opened with v4.5 or earlier? I have the trial downloaded and the tuts open fine. But with my version 4.5 and dug up version 4, they do not…so I assumed the worst. Cheers!

All those Tutorial files could be opened with version 4.5 (not sure anymore about 4.0)…
Here is an example of Lesson 4 Sceneplanning:
http://web.mac.com/nolan.scott/Gallery/old_man_walking.html
(no sound, it’s all fairly self-explanatory)

There was apparently an issue for Mac Users, when two versions of Toon Boom Studio
are installed on the same system, one might get error messages…

Keep in mind, files opened and saved with version 5.0 won’t open anymore in version 4.5.
Studio was not designed to be backward compatible…

Regards
Nolan

You’re trying to open a tutorial for Studio 5 with Studio 4.5, and that’s why you’re getting this error.

The files that are available for download from the website are always the latest tutorial files. In this case, for Studio 5. If you have purchased an earlier version and registered your account, then you can download those tutorials from your “My Account” section of the website after logging in. Those will be the tutorial files appropriate for the version of the software that you purchased. Hope this helps.