Can't open first two tutorials

I’ve just started to use Toonboom and tried to open the tutorials from the Toonboom website. I can open some, but the first two (drawing and painting) won’t open. I get the message: Drawing_rough.tbp is not a supported version

Am I doing something wrong or are these two no longer supported? I had a look round the forum but I couldn’t see anything relevant.

BTW, the first thing I tried to do was use the quick preview button to see what the tutorials I could get looked like - and it didn’t work. I sorted that one by looking through the forum. This is an excellent resource - thanks!

Hi Bren,

Which version of the software are you currently using? The tutorials have been made with version 4.0 so you won’t be able to open them in any previous version of the software.

This being said you can still access to the old tutorials through the following link:

http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBoomStudio/eLearning/tutorials/quickStartV2/

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo

Thanks for that. I bought the software last year (version 3.5) and am only just starting to use it now. I completely missed the fact that you’ve gone and upgraded it :wink: If I’m going to do this properly I’d better upgrade - though I appreciate you giving me the details of the old tutorials - I was sort of looking forward to doing something with the ant-on-fire. cheers Bren

Hi,

I’m unable to open 4.5 files in 4.0. Is there any way to do this? It seems like they should be compatible.

Please let me know asap if there are any workarounds here…

-Tom

Hi,

You can open version 4.0 files in version 4.5 but not the other way around for the moment.

Regards,

Ugo

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong area. I have a big problem with TBS when I copy and paste a frame from one bit to the next and then edit the one I have copy’d the first also changes, also if there ire more than one they all change to the one I have changed…?

Pulling my hair out here, well whats left of it.

Thank you please.

Josephus.

P.S I have tbs 4.5 :slight_smile:

It sounds like you are confusing cells and frames. The basic difference is that a cell is a drawing while a frame is an instance in time.

Animation is a sequence of many picture images displayed on the screen one at a time at a continuous speed. A single picture image is composed of one or more layered picture elements (drawings) which are made on cells. The cell is like a piece of paper and what is drawn or painted onto that piece of paper are called the drawing objects or the art work. Think of it as a stack of clear transparent sheets of paper each containing the art work parts of a total picture image.

Time is divided into frames. Each frame number tells us when in time a specific picture image will be seen. The frame rate of the animation project, the continuous speed of picture display, determines the time to frame relationship. For example 24 FPS means that each second of time is divided up into 24 frames. You can then calculate how long an action is seen on the screen by the number of frames used to represent that action. An action that is represented by 72 frames will be seen on screen for 3 seconds, and action that is represented by 12 frames will be seen on screen for 1/2 second and so on.

A specific frame number only exists once in time, for example there is only one frame number 1 and only one frame number 24, and only one frame number 48 and so on.

As stated previously, picture images are composed of layers of cells and those cells need to be displayed at a specific instance in time, so they have to be assigned to a particular frame number or series of frame numbers. Each instance of the same cell is called an exposure. An exposure is the assignment of a specific cell to a specific frame number. So if you edit a cell you are going to see those changes reflected on every exposure of that same cell because it is in fact just one drawing even though it will be displayed on screen many times during your movie.

Each cell is uniquely named and can be reused many times in a scene. Cells are created and named by element (layer) and cell number. So you know cell a-1 is located on layer a and was the first drawing created in that layer. It isn’t important the order of the cells in a element (layer). They can be created in any order, what is important is when a cell is going to be seen on the screen, which is the frame number or frame numbers to which that cell is assigned.

So, frames are how you locate a specific point in time or how you calculate “on screen” display time. Cells contain art work components of picture images and can be used as many times as needed to create many slightly different versions of those composite picture images.

If you copy and paste a cell from one frame number to another in the same element you aren’t creating new cells you are just assigning the same cell to multiple frame numbers. If you copy the art work from inside a cell and paste that art work into another cell then you have created a new unique cell. And it will have a uniquely different name from all other cells. -JK

Hi there, its me again,
Thank you all the much for helping me out with the frames/cell problem. So now I have a diff problem! I have Made a cut out person and they all sit in the first lot of “cells?” but I want to move the whole person into the next lot of cells as a “new frame?” without having to cut and paste every body part 1 at a time? is this possible? so I can create a diff frame with him, not so the first one changes also?

Thank you all the much :slight_smile:

Josephus.

You still sound slightly confused on the basic concepts, so be sure to re-read that prior post and try to wrap your head around the differences between picture images, cells and frames.

OK, this next question really falls into the same topic of understanding those relationships. A cut out character is a picture image that is designed to be articulated. It’s like a paper doll puppet. The body parts are drawn on cells that are layered in different elements to produce the composite picture image.

To animate a cut out character ( a subject covered in numerous articles on my Cartooning in Toon Boom Blog LEARNING TRACK ) you will take that movable picture image and use key framing to manipulate its parts.

In the simplest example, your cut out character may only consist of a few elements (body parts) each containing only a single cell. The elements are arranged in a hierarchy. The entire hierarchy is collected under a top level parent peg element.

Initially your character’s picture image, in this example, is only seen on screen in the first frame of a sequence. And you must extend the number of exposures (frame assignments) for your character to allow it to be seen on screen long enough for you to create the desired animated action.

To do this you must first determine how long you want the character’s action to be seen on the screen. That gets back to converting time on screen into a number of frames based on the consistent frame rate FPS of your project. I discussed this in my prior post above. So let’s say you wanted your character on screen walking for 3 1/2 seconds. At 24 FPS that’s 84 frames ( 3.5 times 24 = 84 ). Remember frames are just a measurement of time and a specific frame number is just a position located along a time line. It is the way you move along the 4th dimension (time travel so to speak).

So you want to assign your character’s picture image to a sequence of 84 frames in your time line so it will be seen for 3 1/2 seconds. You don’t have to do this to each element individually as long as you have the character constructed with a top level parent peg. All you need to do is to collapse the top level parent peg element. And with the red frame indicator on frame 84 of the time line, you right click on that frame for the parent peg track to open the context menu and select the Extend Children Exposure… command.

Collapsing a peg hierarchy does far more than hide the children elements. It tells TBS that the action you perform on that collapsed peg is to be reflected down and performed on all of that peg’s children. That’s all there is to assigning all the elements in your picture image to a sequence of frames and you are ready to begin your keyframing. (I suggest that you read and follow the tutorials provided in my blog on this subject to get a better understanding of the process of key frame animating a cut out character) -JK

Hi,

The link :

http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBoomStudio/eLearning/tutorials/quickStartV2/
Doesn’t work.

Error 404 Page Not Found

Thanks
Celio