Can't draw in the camera mode

Hi,

I’ve got a problem when I want to draw on a new drawing layer in the camera view. It’s working in the drawing view.

I verified the layer’s modes (lineart, colorart, overlay, underlay) it is not working in none of them. I verified the brush properties and I didn’t select any tool as repaint tool or something explaining why I can’t draw. When I move the cursor above the camera view, an icon appears showing that it is not possible to draw inside this view.

Please, do you have a clue? What could I have changed in the preferences or tools to have this happening?

Thank you,

Ani

Is the drawing layer visible in the timemline? If you hide (uncheck the checkbox) a layer you will no longer be able to draw in it.

If this is not the case, can you attach a screenshot of what it looks like? Just upload your screenshot to a free site like photobucket and post the link here.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Hi! could you solve this?

Hey everyone,
I run Toon Boom Harmony 15.0 Premium and I am having the same problem as Ani here.
As requested by lillyV from Toon Boom Support 7 years ago, I’ve attached a link to my blog where you’ll find a screen recording of the issue. Sorry it’s not a screenshot, I just happened to be recording at the time for school.

http://lukesresearchblog.blogspot.com/2018/06/toonboom-drawing-problem.html

Let’s close this thread together :smiley:

I’m not sure your problem is the same of the OP of 7 years ago. I assume you applied a 3D rotation on the camera. The moment you do that, you stop being able to draw on the layer, because you cannot draw in ‘3D’ in Harmony. If that would be possible you would draw lines distorted by the perspective, right? Would you be able to draw properly in that situation?

What you can do: use the drawing view, as you know, or temporarily deactivate the camera peg to draw, then activate it again after you draw. It would be better for you to first have your characters and backgrounds ready before using the camera. Just like in real life :slight_smile:

Similarly, in a way, If you apply a deformer to a drawing and then try to draw on it, your line will skip, become deformed. Though in this case the software actually allows you to do it*, you will not be able to draw properly. Likewise, you will have to deactivate the deformer or draw on the drawing view. The drawing view is great for any situation in which you need to work on the drawing unchanged by deformation or camera transformations or to work on a single layer without all the information of your scene.

• I’m not sure if you couldn’t on a previous version of Harmony.