can't draw in color or with texture brushes

I’m new to Animate 3 and I can’t figure out why I can’t draw in color and I can’t draw with texture. Everything is black and vectorized. However, when I render the animation, the color shows up – but on a solid black background!

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks!

Im not sure why you can’t draw in colour or with texture but the black background is easy fixed… you need to use a colour card in your scene. When there’s no background it renders black.

Hi richardL_65121

With regards to the brushes, Can you give a bit more info, are you on mac using mavericks for example? As there are issues with pro 3.

The black background is most likely because no colour card has been created? So although you may see your work on a grey or white background, when rendered it assumes there is no colour assigned yet.

Twitter @jasonvenus
www.youtube.com/user/Illustriate
www.facebook.com/drawmill
www.drawmill.com

I’m running Windows 7 and using a Bamboo Create tablet for input. Thanks for any help… sounds like it’s a bug from my upgrade from Animate 2.

Hi, did you resolve the black background ?

Something worth trying to sort brushes is deleting the preference file maybe. Seems to help some issues on the mac, may do same for pc…

Toonist | Animate Pro User | Apple Mac Addict

Twitter @jasonvenus
www.youtube.com/user/Illustriate
www.facebook.com/drawmill
www.drawmill.com

The craziness here is that I can draw in color with Animate 2 on this computer, but not with the Animate 3 that I updated to. Is this really something no one else has seen if they updated from 2 to 3 on Windows 7?

The color shows until I finish the line. If I’m drawing a red line with a mouse, it stays red for as long as I’m holding down the mouse button, but the minute I release it the entire line turns black and any texture it had disappears.

Sounds like a graphic card issue. If you’re on Windows try disabling the Aero Desktop Theme.

I will end this thread by saying that this looks like a software bug. I upgraded from Animate 2 to Animate 3, as an early adopter. The first time I installed Animate 3, it kept my entire Windows 7 system from booting up properly. I reinstalled it, and it often crashes after I’ve carried out more than half a dozen procedures. I am running this on a Toshiba Portege R705 laptop with Windows 7, 8 GB of RAM, and a ton of power-user software (Sonar X2, Painter X3, Photoshop CS5) that runs flawlessly on this setup.

My problem, aside from the crashes, is that drawings and imports are not visible in the camera and drawing windows as anything other than pure black. No colors, no textures. If I play and render the movie, the results are correct (when the software doesn’t crash). But if I import frames, all I see is a black screen. If I draw, all I see is black lines with no texture.

I will write tech support and try to resolve this, since unfortunately no real answer seems available in the forum.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though.