Can't do Optical Registration in Animate...

No matter the settings I can’t seem to get the optical registration to work in Animate. I have clearly defined pegs holes yet constant error saying “Optical Registration Failed.” Also I’m having a hard time keeping the same consistency when I vectorize a drawing as I import it, the first drawing is always smooth and great, but every other one isn’t. The lines get broken and it just looks bad where as the drawings were very consistent in their quality. I really need this aspect of this software to work! Please help!

I remeber having difficulties in Digital Pro a while back when I was trying to register some scans (done from outside Digital Pro). I remember the settings having to be fairly precise ()for good reason) and as a result being very unforgiving. The peg holes have to lie within some distance (oddly enough, the registration would work at some zoom levels and not others).

From what I remember, for an image that was 12x9 inches, the registration would fail if the peg holes were not approx 1 inch from the bottom. The DPI setting mattered a whole lot. since it was being used to determine how many pixels make up an inch and as a result, to locate peg holes in certain locations. I think peg bars were at there standard 4 inches left and right of the peg hole (or rather 4 inches from the horizontal midpoint)

I think 16F was a slight variation of this approach too. I also remember seeing custom options in the help tab where you could instruct the app to locate the peg holes and you could save them as presets too.

Hi ryanStark,

Heres what I’ve uncovered so far. I had always interpreted the advance options -pegpitch, -rmargin and -peg_distance_from_center as:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I46h7gJMDOQ/Sn9PnQ2pprI/AAAAAAAAAEg/Uad71PCb81w/s400/fieldchartopt1.png

So adjusting the -rmargin always helped me out. But last night I started wondering if instead these options represent this:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I46h7gJMDOQ/Sn9PnhXQeGI/AAAAAAAAAEk/Y8Y-y_JlKz8/s400/fieldchartopt2.png

That is, the rmargin acts like a margin of error (a plus or minus ‘x’-distance–and in this case 1/2 the distance north, 1/2 south)

In any case the former interpretation is what actually works for me. So im sticking to ihat.

There is an additional setting called losseness factor or something, but I’m not sure how to graphically interpret the looseness factor. In any case someone at TB might be able to clarify.

If you have photoshop or gimp installed you can set your rulers to show up and determine the appropriate distances using guides or the measuring tools.

Sorry but as to the inconsistency you are encountering in line quality I have no idea or suspicions as to what might be causing them.

As an aise, in my opinion I think this simple UI re-arrangement of the import image(s) dialog feels more natural than what we have.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_I46h7gJMDOQ/Sn9k83CoppI/AAAAAAAAAEo/sowlOwz7HxU/s400/impdiafin.png

we let me know if you find anything

Hi,
I’m also having problems with Optical Registration.
I’m scanning drawings at 200DPI but no matter where I place my drawing on the scanner, how dark the paper behind the pegs to highlight them or what options I select, the vectorisation fails.
I’ve read all the documentation supplied, though there is no info on the Help Tab, which I don’t understand and I don’t want to change anything there and make matters worse.
Normally I’ve scanned with a pegbar attached to the scanner, but I’d like to use optical registration in order to batch scan my drawings.

Could someone at ToonBoom (Hello Sebastien!) outline all the considerations and options to acheive this?

Also, is there a recommended DPI to scan at for best vectorisation results?

There are few things to be cleared out.
-Standard animation paper with the size and proper location of the peg hole.
-The location of the paper where the center peg hole is (the center is 1 inch from the bottom, and 4 inches between the side peg holes from the center of the center of the peg hole (round) to the center of the side peg holes and on the same line since it is important for the rotation.
-When it is scanned, it has to be scanned and document so that it has a white background.
-The peg holes have to be very clear edges and also there should be no pencil line across.
-DPI used from scan has to be same in optical registration option vectorization option by double clicking of the list (ex, Black and White).
-Also there are other settings that needs to be added (such as -90 degrees rotation due to have a pen position on the bottom)

There are details about the optical registration procedure for Digital Pro on Knowledgebase different from Animate Pro interface but it is more less same on Animate pro for the TWAIN interface. http://www.toonboom.com/support/kb/questions/66/I-can-not-scan-my-drawing-with-Optical-Registration.?66

Also, Here’s my 2 cents:

Perhaps this is all stuff you guys already know, but let me tell you that these are the basic things you MUST do to make Optical Registration work:

Optical Registration: ON
DPI: MUST be set to the same DPI that was used to scan the original images
PEG SIDE: usually “bottom”, but you select according to your situation
STRICTNESS: Loose is best, it seems to be less “strict” about potential dirt found around the pegholes
FIELD CHART: usually 12 Field is fine, unless you’re using larger, 16 FIELD paper. This follows traditional animation field chart sizes.

* If using Animate Pro: I highly suggest to deactivate the “Create Symbol For Imported Items” feature, unless you know what you’re doing, and even there I would argue that traditionally exposed drawn animation is easier to manipulate without any symbol action.

ON THE SCANNER:
- Make sure you have some black tape or cardboard, to make the peg holes show up clearly on white paper
- Place all of the papers in generally the same area in the scanner
- On the original papers, the area around the peg holes should be as clean as possible (no page crumpliness or pencil marks near there)

Usually, 200 DPI is a good setting to scan your drawings for vectorization. Studios seem to use btwn 200 - 300 dpi. I think that 200 dpi is enough

As far as consistency of vectorization:
If the setting is good on your first drawing, and you’re importing them all in at the same time and all the drawings are clean and tight, then they should all have the same look.

- Hans

Thanks for the info.
I’m doing everything you mention.
I use Acme punched animation paper, 12 field in this case, black card behind the pegs, all the settings in the Options are set correctly, etc, etc, but no success.

I’m using an Epson GT5000 (A3 Flatbed scanner) which I use to scan all my animation drawings. I’m not using the document feeder, although I’d hoped to use it with the Optical Registration to speed up the scanning time.

Does the whole area at the bottom of the paper have to be clear on any lines? I do number my drawings in the bottom right hand corner, as do probably every other working animator on the planet. Would this confuse the software?

It does not matter as long as the number is not acrossing or near the peg holes.

Most case I see that Optical registration does not work even all setting are correct is because the edge of peg hole is not clean enough (especially the center peg hole). If you have made the hole or if the hole is not clean enough use peg protector (animation reinforcement) to have the clean edge of the hole.

If you can post the result of the scanned image with DIP you have used, I could take a look. You can scan it without optical registration to have bitmap image to post.

The peg holes are clean, and sharp. I use pre punched pro grade animation paper and scan with a piece of black card behind it. The scan of the peg holes couldn’t be better, but no success.

Could someone from Toon Boom’s tech dept step in here and explain the technical requirements for successful Optical Registration.
Either it works, or it doesn’t, and the people who designed it are the best people to show how to make it work.

Any news after contacting support from Toon Boom?

hi,

maybe too obvious…but make sure you dont have black bars to the left or right of the scan. if you put a black bar on the bottom to scan the pegholes and you accidentially scan a little big bigger than your paper you get black bars to the left or right (or both) of your peg holes in the scan. this might throw the software off. the same goes if you scan a little bit slanted and you get a black stripe on the bottom of your scans. there should be only the three
"dots" of the pegbar on the bottom of your scans. nothing else.
as mentioned before make sure you have identical dpi set in animate`s vectorize dialog. if you do anything between scanning and vectorizing with your scans (conversion, rotation, etc) make sure this doesnt change the dpi settings! if the dpi dont match the vectorization fails.

good luck :slight_smile: