candle-light effect

Now that we have the shadow effect in this new release I was wondering how we might extend this effect.

If for example a character is placed in a scene where the only light source is a candle, is it possible to have the showdow flicker for more realism?

Or another scenario would be a situation like a club/concert where there are various light source of different colors. How could I use TBS to show this?

While I’m at it can somebody break down what the Clipping effect element does?

just because I’ve heard so much about the drop shadow adding what sounds like terrabytes to file sizes, I can only imagine making it move & flicker would only add to that.

Something you might try for th elighting effect would be to play with a gradient color in which you fade out the alpha so th elight is more intense right around the candle, & diffuses as it gets further away. Then you could play with the shape using the contour editor as well as the intensity/color of your gradient & get the flickering effect your looking for.

Not saying its necessarily a better method, just a thought.

I haven’t played with clipping too much yet other than reading the manual, so I won’t speak to that. good luck though.

Hi Tiger,

For the flicker the best would probably be to use 2 seperate elements for the drop shadow and the actual element. If you trigger the Hide Element feature you will be able to animate your shadow separately from your original, therefor allowing you to animate both independantly.

As for the Clipping effect what you put in the Mask folder will the zone through whichl you will see what you put in the effect.

Best regards,

Ugo

Pat,
You are moving in the right direction with your thinking, solutions to many effects problems are often much simpler than we often think about on first blush.

Let’s take the flicker effect as a quick example for you to test out. Try creating a new element in a project and set it to be of the foreground type. Now when you want to add your flicker create a cell in this new element by drawing a large 12 field rectangle and filling it with your desired color (start with yellow just for grins) but set up a special yellow color swatch with its alpha level at 16 for example before you fill the rectangle. Delete the rectangle outline leaving just the filled interior. Do this again on another cell for this same element with a new fill swatch of yellow set to an alpha level of 32 and again delete the rectangle outline leaving the interior fill. Now you can play with the exposure pattern (your flicker rate) between your cell 1 and cell 2 but basically you want to alternate between the two cells to produce your flicker. Because they are foreground type elements they are always in front of the scene and because you set the yellow fills to small alpha values they are like transparent filters that your camera is shooting through. The alternation timing controls the flicker effect and a variable timing pattern makes it look more natural. You can also go back and play with the alpha levels of your two swatches to fine tune the effect taking advantage of TBS’s great color management capabilities.

Now you can make many variations of this concept using a simple approach of creating just specific overlays of objects below the transparent overlay and pegging them together or more complex effects using a color transform element but the basic idea is keep it simple when trying to create an effect.